News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Fargo785

Car keys

Fargo785

Hello,

IRL, when you buy a car, you have two keys. We should have the possibility to give a key of our car to a friend or someone. If I give my key to my friend, he'll be able to open and use the car. If you loose your keys or get your keys stolen during a scene for example, you'll be able to make new ones at the garage like in RL.

Of course, there'll be some abuse coming the way, that's why it needs to be under certain circumstances you can rob someone's keys, not just like that.

Dom

I've played on one RP server that had this feature. I think it's really useful since me and my friend could get one car and share it as we play together.

• Like 1

lordt

Both players should be able to spawn the vehicle, imo.

Raicyk

Agreed, realistic and I don't see any negatives to this. 

Neaksy

I was originally going to make a suggestion about it but since you've already done it I'll just copy/paste my thoughts on this.

On servers like LS-RP, you just need to be the owner of the vehicle to /engine, or house to /(h)lock, which is problematic for two reasons:

• If you want somebody else to use your vehicle, you have to either duplicate the key with an instant command that costs $2500, and if you don't want to be bothered paying this amount you have to turn on the engine for them, which can be problematic if the vehicle is left unlocked (since anybody could steal the car) or locked (if the driver gets out of the vehicle he can't get back in); they can't turn on and off the engine either. 
  • If you want to pass your house key to somebody else (so they can enter and lock your house), you need to make them rent your house, which can be problematic because you can only rent one property at a time, and it forces you to spawn there when you connect. As the person who rents, you cannot give the key to somebody else either.

Realistically, if the key is in the ignition, anybody should be able to grab the key, turn the engine on or off, pass it around to other people, and lock, unlock the vehicle. Same for house keys, if you give the key to somebody they would be able to lock and unlock the house and pass it to others, or even make duplicates. Therefore essentially my idea is as follows: when you purchase a vehicle or house, you are given a key in your inventory. So long you have the key on you, you can /lock and access your property. 

It would work like this: when in the vehicle, you put the key in the ignition with a command or keybind, and you can then turn on the engine. If you leave the key in the ignition whether the engine is on or off, anybody can get in the vehicle and either reach for the key to grab it or use the vehicle. If somebody steals your own key, you would have to go back to the dealership and buy a new one. Dealerships would be able to create duplicates of your car keys as well, I guess mechanics could too with the right equipment; they could also disable previous keys like the one stolen so people who have keys of your car can no longer use them.

If you own multiple vehicles/properties, you would have on you all those keys in your character's inventory; in robbing situations, and in general, only the active vehicle (the one that is spawned on the map) could be stolen or given. Same would go for dropping your keys on the ground; the key would de-spawn after some time if not stolen within an hour. This is assuming the vehicle system would work like LS-RP's where you have to spawn in your vehicle, and only one or a few at a time.

It would also be a solution to faction vehicles being accessed by civilians. Government agencies would all be equipped with a runlock system; unless the government employee forgets to get the key out of the ignition when leaving the vehicle running, then getting in a vehicle without the key back in the ignition and pressing any button to accelerate would just stall the engine; that way civilians can't steal them, but can still enter as driver. Faction vehicles would work with the same system so anybody with the faction vehicle's key could be able to use it, but only that particular vehicle, while faction members would own with a universal vehicle key for all of their faction vehicles (for government factions, when going on duty, for non-governmental factions, all the time), for convenience sake.

I'm not sure whether a car key object already exists in SA-MP but with 0.3.8 one can easily be added onto the game. It would be shown when locking or unlocking the vehicle from outside or when dropped on the ground like weapons.

The only problem I can see is timing out while driving a vehicle that is locked. Perhaps a workaround would be to transfer the key back in the player's inventory when he reconnects when they time out in a vehicle they're driving.

• Like 1

Targus
1 hour ago, Neaksy said:

Therefore essentially my idea is as follows: when you purchase a vehicle or house, you are given a key in your inventory. So long you have the key on you, you can /lock and access your property.

Wasn't this suggestion the outcome of some argument on Discord? +1 to this anyhow, would be a more feasible and "realistic" concept.

Neaksy
18 minutes ago, Targus said:

Wasn't this suggestion the outcome of some argument on Discord? +1 to this anyhow, would be a more feasible and "realistic" concept.

Yeah you're right, it was regarding @Nemo's idea for faction members to /flock their vehicles if I'm correct, I brought up a potential car key system as a solution to the issue.