• Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Sign in to follow this  
Sparx

Death / Injury System

Sparx

This could act as a discussion too?

It's all well and known that death systems on RP servers cause quite a lot of controversy, especially with what causes what damage and what shouldn't. When playing the public beta, I noticed that when I was falling from the map (Interior wasn't finished), I died and instantly respawned at my last log-off location. My suggestion is the following;

• Dying from falling from above a specific height will result in instant death. I think this is a forced thing with SAMP?
  • Being beaten up should allow room for roleplay, too many times have big brawls occurred and you just see everyone dead and respawning when realistically that wouldn't be the case (fistfighting).
  • You are unable to die from vehicle explosions / stop vehicles being able to be blown up - too many times people suicide to avoid RP through this medium.
  • Getting shot and having all of your health depleted will result in a death screen or injured screen. It will then allow information to be displayed with how many gunshots you have and whereabouts they would be located (For FD RP etc).
  • You must be in this injured screen for a specified amount of time to allow room for roleplay and reaction.
    • In addition you could maybe have some sort of "dragging" script that allows gangs to hide dead bodies or allows people to self-transport?
  • IF you are not revived in time and/or there is no roleplay, skipping this screen will respawn you either;
    • At your property/business if you own one and are a civilian.
    • At the nearest hospital / medical centre if you don't own a property and are a civilian.
    • At your faction spawn / designated faction spawn point if you are in a faction.
  • Possibly integrate options through the UCP that allow the changes of a respawn point dependant on what categories you fit into.
  • If your game crashes / you quit during a death screen it should return you to that point with some sort of check declaring that you are still in the process of dying.
  • Anything else?

If you have any suggestions it would be cool to hear.

Edited by Sparx

Akiba
  • Dying from a certain height does kill you, as a GTA SA mechanic.
  • Can be implemented, I agree with your suggestion.
  • I've put forward a suggestion of vehicles not exploding, instead the engine gets disabled. (It's possible)
  • Implemented, may not function the same as you're used to.
  • Bodies are able to be moved, as well as injured players (into vehicles). Being able to drag an injured person could be a good idea, to move them from harm. Also I believe you're in the injured/dying state for 30 minutes.
  • At the moment I believe it's the hospital.
  • @Chilli943
  • @widqk

Wiqdk is currently in the process of creating the injured/death system, I've tagged him in this thread to take a look. I've also tagged Chilli as he's working on the UCP.

• Like 2

josef

Being beaten up should allow room for roleplay, too many times have big brawls occurred and you just see everyone dead and respawning when realistically that wouldn't be the case (fistfighting).

From what I understand, you are suggesting that injuries merely sustained from fist-to-fist combat should not result in death, but instead should cause the player to be placed into an injured state. If this is what you mean, I like this idea. But how would this work if the player was to receive injuries from something such as a firearm or blunt weapon, and then 'finished off' by a combat hit? Would they still have the ability to die or would the 'finishing move' decide whether they can die or not?

You are unable to die from vehicle explosions / stop vehicles being able to be blown up - too many times people suicide to avoid RP through this medium.

I agree with this suggestion - I have seen scripts on a number of servers that upon a vehicle being ignited, it is repaired to prevent it from blowing up, but is forced into a state of engine damage - its engine is prevented from starting. You are completely right about the conflict that vehicle explosions can lead to.

Getting shot and having all of your health depleted will result in a death screen or injured screen. It will then allow information to be displayed with how many gunshots you have and whereabouts they would be located (For FD RP etc).

You must be in this injured screen for a specified amount of time to allow room for roleplay and reaction.

In addition you could maybe have some sort of "dragging" script that allows gangs to hide dead bodies or allows people to self-transport?

I agree that being shot/injured to the point of total HP loss should result in a restricting injured screen. I do agree that there should be some publicly accessible information on the injuries sustained by the person. IN terms of a timer for being in the injured screen, I feel as though there should be some sort of verification system to confirm that the injuries have been roleplayed to their full extent - I shall give a scenario where this would be beneficial. For example, Rafael gets injured in a gunfight and forced into the injured screen. There is a death timer of 300 seconds. Roughly 200 seconds after Rafael's injury, a medical team arrives on scene, who begin to roleplay treating Rafael's injuries. Rafael gets bored of the roleplay and has met his timer - he then decides to accept the death and respawn.

I think that in order to counter an issue such as the one aforementioned, those that wish to engage in roleplay with a downed person should be able to use a command such as /treatinjured or something of the sorts, thus pausing the timer and preventing the person from being despawned. However, this may be prone to abuse, should the command be available to all players. A player may decide to approach Rafael and type /treatinjured, and then run off, leaving him in this limbo state of not being able to respawn and not receiving any treatment. Perhaps a command would be necessary for Rafael to confirm that he is receiving treatment, but then again, he could simply refuse to type the command and then respawn when he gets bored of the roleplay. Most certainly food for thought.

As for the dragging script, I have no issues with this and I do believe that it should be implemented in some way or another for players that are downed.

IF you are not revived in time and/or there is no roleplay, skipping this screen will respawn you either;

At your property/business if you own one and are a civilian.

At the nearest hospital / medical centre if you don't own a property and are a civilian.

At your faction spawn / designated faction spawn point if you are in a faction.

I see no problem with these spawn locations. I like the idea that you presented about there being a UCP option to allow for a change in the default spawn location. 

If your game crashes / you quit during a death screen it should return you to that point with some sort of check declaring that you are still in the process of dying.

I agree with this. It prevents the possibility of people force crashing to avoid roleplay, should such a bug be existent. I think it would be important for the injuries to remain logged in some way or another though - if a player crashes and then returns, the list of injuries they sustained prior to crashing should still be accessible.

I wanted to add that weapons should be able to impose different amounts of damage and reductions in HP depending on the following factors:

1. The type of firearm used (eg differences in inflicted damage between a shotgun and a pistol);
  2. The range the firearm is fired at (if such as feature is plausible);
  3. The body part that the shot connects with (eg, causing more damage to a gunshot sustained to the head compared to a gunshot sustained to the arm).

I would appreciate any and all feedback on such a system, though it may be more suitable for a separate topic.

@Sparx

Edited by josef

Sparx
3 minutes ago, josef said:
  • The type of firearm used (eg differences in inflicted damage between a shotgun and a pistol);
  • The range the firearm is fired at (if such as feature is plausible);
  • The body part that the shot connects with (eg, causing more damage to a gunshot sustained to the head compared to a gunshot sustained to the arm).

Yeah all of this is possible and should be a thing!

I was going to add a bullet about melee weapons in response to your first question and I think that's something that @widqk can look into. Maybe creating some sort of check to see if the player was previously injured by WeaponID X, Y or Z and act accordingly on that if they were then to be punched / attacked.

6 minutes ago, josef said:

Rafael gets injured in a gunfight and forced into the injured screen (etc etc)

Yeah I agree also. It does happen a lot of the time where a medic will crouch and begin RP just for the user to accept the timer is up and respawn. I agree with having a pause/extension/mutual request (so people aren't trapped in that pause state) that PD/FD etc can utilize in order to further some medical RP for those in the FD faction. Maybe @Bunting can provide more suggestion to this?

• Like 1

josef
1 minute ago, Sparx said:

I was going to add a bullet about melee weapons in response to your first question and I think that's something that @widqk can look into. Maybe creating some sort of check to see if the player was previously injured by WeaponID X, Y or Z and act accordingly on that if they were then to be punched / attacked.

Exactly.

Sparx
10 minutes ago, cBull said:

Once you're injured and automatically sending FD your whereabouts is very RPGish. Nobody in real life calls police unless they see or they heard gunshots.

Sorry, this isn't what I meant. The information displayed will only appear above the dead person's body, not a global callout to any faction. It'll be like /deathinformation <ID> and it'll bring up a textdraw with information regarding the shots, location of impact etc.

widqk

Most of what is discussed on this topic is either already in development or ready.

Although the following is not officially approved, I have a system that informs the authorities if a shootout is taking place near a business, house or any public location (Hospital, City Hall and so on) -- making senseless public shootouts less likely to occur, providing a more realistic environment.

Stephen_Plascencia
On 11/29/2017 at 4:55 PM, cBull said:

In that case, I love the entire idea.

Agreed. Another thing is when you are in fist to fist combat, people knock each other out all the time in real life. So in other RP servers, cops think you’re dead instead of knocked out. So the “injured state” is a good idea because that way you could just know that he’s injured instead of “dead”

This also goes for when you are being stabbed. You can also die from being stabbed but if you get stabbed and you didn’t get repeadtedly stabbed like that person wanted to death screen you, you’ll just be laying there in a injured manner. Hope you guys see what I’m going for here.

Manuel_Lugo
On 29/11/2017 at 7:08 PM, widqk said:

Most of what is discussed on this topic is either already in development or ready.

Although the following is not officially approved, I have a system that informs the authorities if a shootout is taking place near a business, house or any public location (Hospital, City Hall and so on) -- making senseless public shootouts less likely to occur, providing a more realistic environment.

I wonder what triggers the alarm in that case? How do exactly the police get notified? Like what would trigger it? There are blind spots in really public places too, I'm curious though.

Fraudulent-Philanthropist

I will slap Cash Nasty.

edit; wrong post.

Edited by OGBishop

* Big Gucci Draco

Didn't feel like reading it all but i hope that you added when you get shot you'll start to bleed out.

Faledak

Just add engine disabled instead or similar, I'm pretty sure that you can stop vehicle from exploding even if it flips over. Whether car bombs are added, you wouldn't die with the aforementioned suggestion.

Templar

I'd love to see if a player dies in a car, he uses the anim where the ped rests his head on the steering and dies instead of instantly laying on the roof.

specter1591
On 12/1/2017 at 10:49 PM, Manuel_Lugo said:

I wonder what triggers the alarm in that case? How do exactly the police get notified? Like what would trigger it? There are blind spots in really public places too, I'm curious though.

This system is used in real life by multiple agencies/cities. It is called "ShotSpotter" and there are several videos of practical demonstrations of it online. If you take a look at the Miami PD Vlog on dispatchers you can see the system somewhat in action. In this case the company notifies the department as you can see "shotspotter\dfoley" and is sent to the department on bridge at (@) miami-police.org. The only blind spots for this system are locations where is not installed and incidents are not able to be triangulated. An instance like this is rather common as a city cannot afford to cover all of a major city. As can be seen here the system is approximately $325,000.00 USD to install over a 10 square mile area. Areas most likely to receive sensors are high crime areas where shooting are most likely to occur.

Edited by specter1591