News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Sign in to follow this  
Saint

[STARTING GUIDE] New to the server and don't know where to start?

Saint

Hey there! I'm gonna hop straight into the guide. I've recognized that there's a lack of a "starting out" guide of sorts. Here's my shot at explaining some good steps on getting well acquainted with the community.

Welcome to Bay Area Roleplay!

1. Familiarizing Yourself With The Server's Resources

Bay Area Roleplay, much like most other communities, has multiple different platforms that it'd be in your best interest to become familiar with. What platforms does Bay Area have exactly? Well:

These are the 3 primary platforms that the community uses. Now, let's go a little bit more in-depth with each platform and why they're important.

A) The Forum

The forum is probably the most important platform that you'll use during your time here at Bay Area Roleplay. Why? Well, for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, the forum is basically the news outlet for the server. Did we have a gamemode update? It was posted on the forums. Is the server down? The reason will be posted under the announcements section. Any vital information revolving around the server will be posted here. Secondly, the forum contains multiple sections/boards that can assist your character. The In-Character section contains the "World Wide Web" which is a place you can post advertisements for jobs or items for sale. Alongside that, you can find government press releases here. It's a great way to develop your character based on IC events with your government. And finally, friendships! The entire point behind playing multiplayer videogames is to make friends. The forum is home to a wide percentage of the playerbase and is a great outlet for you to meet new people that you can possibly befriend.

B) The Discord

The Discord server is an amazing outlet for people who enjoy communicating with others. Discord is a program that allows people to communicate one on one or in gigantic communities called servers. Bay Area Roleplay has adapted Discord over other alternatives such as Ventrillo & Teamspeak due to the user-friendliness of Discord. Not only that, Discord is fast, has an eye-appealing theme, and can be used on mobile devices. By using the Discord server to your advantage, you can talk with the rest of the community easily, it's an easy way to make friends much like the forum.

Once you do decide to visit the Discord server, it'll be very beneficial to follow this guide on "How to verify your Discord account"

C) The Server

The server, the main reason you probably came to this community. The server itself is the place you, well, play the game! This is where you roleplay, enjoy your freetime, make friends, develop your character, etc. The server is pretty self-explanatory.

If you can master all three of these platforms/resources and use them to your benefit, it will greatly improve your enjoyment of Bay Area Roleplay.

2. Okay, you've familiarized yourself. Now what?

First off, if you already know what you plan to roleplay as then I suggest skipping to number 3. Moving on, the next step I suggest after joining the community and familiarizing yourself with it's platforms would have to be planning what you want to roleplay. Here are a few of the many different questions you should ask yourself before creating your character:

• Do I want to roleplay legal or illegal?
  • How do I want my character to look? Will it be a female or a male? How old will it be? etc.?
  • What is my goal going to be with this character?

"Goal?" Yes, I said goal. It's always a great idea to have a goal for your characters. If you go into a server just to roleplay not having a set goal to achieve, you may find yourself getting bored of roleplaying your character quickly. I always set a goal for my character before I begin roleplay, some great goal ideas could be:

• I want my character to achieve a high rank in a Law Enforcement faction.
  • I want my character to be rich.
  • I want my character to lead a gang.

Setting a goal for your character will give you the determination to roleplay something different that will assist you in reaching that goal.

3. Alright, I know what I want to roleplay, now?

To begin, great job! You're nearly settled in already. Now, you've got what you want to roleplay and you're still clueless of how you're going to achieve that goal or how you will earn money, etc. Slow your role. Assuming you are going to attempt to become rich even if you don't portray it ICly, you're going to need to understand how to make money. Across San Fierro there are plenty of jobs that you can complete, besides these server-sided jobs you can also find people who are financially stable that may be willing to pay you for a task. I personally prefer the second option as it allows for unique roleplay situations to occur and I'd rather put thought into making money rather than slave away like a robot to a repetitive job scriptly. I'm sure you agree. ((I WILL UPDATE THIS SECTION IN THE FUTURE WHEN MORE INFO ON JOBS IS RELEASED))

3. Yes! I've got money! What now though?

Honestly, the guide could end right here, but I believe there's still a little bit you need to know. Let's recap:

• You know about The Forum, The Discord, and The Server.
  • You know what you're going to roleplay.
  • You now have accumulated some money.

I guess the next step would be to figure out what you can do with such money, correct? Alright, I'm going to go out on a limb that you don't have a house, car, garage, etc. I HIGHLY suggest that you buy a car for your first purchase after saving up. Walking/running around the city to get places is slow, boring, and inefficient. Getting a car will save you time, that time can be dedicated to roleplay and/or making more money!

4. Becoming More Involved.

Bay Area Roleplay is a COMMUNITY thus, it will have many different outlets. Besides the three I've mentioned earlier in this post, Bay Area also has several social media accounts that you can speak to them on. Social Media is a great way to keep up to date with updates and announcements about the community/server while on the go. If you're not home and you'd enjoy being informed, it'd be in your best interest to get involved with us on social media. We have the following:

You can click any/every specific social media above and it will reroute you to the proper page to follow them.

To be continued....

Edited by Saint
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Sonny

Good to help people, good job Saint!

• Like 1

The Don

Nice Saint!

• Like 2

Saint

Thanks for the positive feedback so far everyone. As I stated in the thread, I will be updating this once I personally gain more information on the script and it's features and their locations. I will go more in depth with the jobs, the locations, etc.

DowDaw

Looking forward to see more, good job! :)

• Like 1

Saint
3 minutes ago, DowDaw said:

Looking forward to see more, good job! :)

Thank you.

Mademan

Good looks bro, neatly written.

Saint
On 11/30/2017 at 9:14 AM, Mademan said:

Good looks bro, neatly written.

Appreciate it.

Culture

This is invaluable! It's simple and straight to the point. 

• Thanks 1

smallz

I love this, I am sure that it will be loads of help for any newly joined members of the community. 

• Like 1

best kept secret

Well done

Saint

Updated with Part 4, Getting More Involved.