News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
FlowN

Prison times

FlowN

Although I see where it is coming from, setting the maximum sentence to be of one hour spent in prison is ridiculous. Just because the server is just starting out doesn't mean we should allow players to abuse it. If anything, it will do more harm than good.

I've seen it being seriously abused in many instances. People driving without a license choosing to evade then run away, fight the officers and break all possible laws knowing that if they don't manage to get away, they'll spend one hour in prison either way and then they'll be back in business.

Even if we keep this thing up people will get used to it and a lot of players will be disappointed when we cancel this limit and they won't be able to have the same amount of "fun" they had before since they'll have to spend serious time in jail.

Petrichor

Being in jail is an IC punishment and not an OOC punishment, so the one hour limit is fine in my opinion. The people you mentioned should be ajailed or banned because of non-RP behaviour/failing to RP fear.

Glenson

I think we should definitely make the limit higher. My own personal experiences with higher jail times is that you really start to fear getting jailed and you try your best to cooperate with law enforcement officers to not get thrown in jail. This is something that makes roleplay in general better in my opinion and makes people think twice before committing a crime which boosts realism.

Tommy ツ

Bank Robbery -> one hour

Terrorism -> one hour

Mass Murder -> one hour

Plotting to kill the US President -> one hour

The system is a joke.

Lockhart

Hi all

This was put in place (not by me) as we do not have prison faction yet, meaning there is nil RP involved unless there is other inmates to roleplay with, and there quite often isn't.

I'm open to ideas so as always I'm interested in what y'all want as a contingency plan until we have a better prison environment.

Go

Carmine

@thekillergreece the timer does freeze only uppon leaving the server. Tabbing doesn't stop it, just as the EXP hours. You're online, no matter if you're tabbed or not - it keeps counting.

Sneakerhead
9 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

Even if we had prison faction, it wouldn't help stuff at all. Take the other large roleplay community for example where all prisoners are simply afking.

Anyway, I have shared a good idea which like the weapons license issues, has been shot down or simply ignored.

From what I know, if you have a prison time, if you tab or go offline, your prison timer freezes until you log back in. This is obviously a stupid idea and I would wonder who thought of this.

I am suggesting an overhaul on prison system when it comes to timers.

1. If the prison timer system stays the way it is (as in, freeze if the player is tabbed or went offline) then the maximum prison time should be 5 hours.

2. If the prison timer system is to be changed (see below) then the maximum prison time should be 8-12 hours depending the severity and it should be up to us. Immigrants (as in, those who do not identify themselves at all and any other methods to retrieve identity fails such as fingerprint scan, etc) and those who wish to roleplay in prison permanently if not for long time, the maximum prison time should be 24 hours.

What do I mean the change? It's simple! The prison timer should never freeze. Player tabbing or went offline? No worries, the prison timer should keep working until it reaches 0. So imagine, doing a crime and you get prisoned 8 hours (for crimes such as murder, assault with deadly weapon, etc..) and it's midnight in your place. You go to sleep, you wake up and /releaseme cos 8 hours passed when you woke up.

I agree with your idea as I’ve never witnessed a system like this implemented. I rather this than having to be jailed for a day and not being able to lose my time even when I’m logged out.

Neaksy

I've been talking about making prison times go down when offline for months on this forum and for years on LS-RP and afaik they've approved my idea for a trial there. It would be a much better compromise than to force people to idle. It's a much bigger problem on BA-RP because of the lower playerbase and lack of DOC faction making roleplay possibilities almost zero. Honestly, it needs to happen.

Danny
Posted (edited)

The reason i disagree with the prison time going down even when the player is offline is because someone can just get in a 20 minute chase with the police, be arrested and after one hour do it all over again.

I believe there should be other penalties considered (along with prison time, of course). For example stealing a car should cost you [amount of money] for the damages, if you got in a police chase then you should also be fined [amount of money], etc.

Edit: If you get caught, of course. 

If this is implemented then the sentences should be 20 minutes max, but the money charges should be harsh too (over $20.000 for evading) anyway that depends on the server economy. This way people will actually think twice before breaking the law, also sitting in prison for an hour might make some people too frustrated and quit playing so this is what i suggest.

Edited by Danny

Lockhart

We had long sentences on LS which decreased even when players were offline, this was probably long before you guys played there so you musnt have seen how it played out.

Players who were in prison simply didnt log on. It was just an empty interior. What would you say to this argument?

Neaksy
1 minute ago, Lockhart said:

We had long sentences on LS which decreased even when players were offline, this was probably long before you guys played there so you musnt have seen how it played out.

Players who were in prison simply didnt log on. It was just an empty interior. What would you say to this argument?

It's already empty right now

Lockhart
Just now, Neaksy said:

It's already empty right now

Long term though, would you rather just handle sentences offline and have them longer and not have a DOC faction or prison roleplay?

Neaksy
Just now, Lockhart said:

Long term though, would you rather just handle sentences offline and have them longer and not have a DOC faction or prison roleplay?

You can have both at the same time

Lockhart
Just now, Neaksy said:

You can have both at the same time

Im just saying, this was tested on a very large server and we found out it was one of the other. People dont log in when they can decrease their sentence offline.