Sign in to follow this  
Pluto

Winter seasons

Pluto    63
Pluto

spoke a little about this on the discord but on my previous server we spend a majority of not, all of the US' winter rotation with a snow GFX mod added to our SAMP. basically it allowed us to reap the benefits and risks of winter rp on our server during the festive months, eg; snowball fights, radio announced warnings about snow-ins, chaining your tires to avoid vehicular accidents, etc.

I understand it doesn't necessarily snow in San Francisco (San Fierro) but perhaps it's something we could add next seasonal rotation if it's agreed upon.

just gonna throw the mod's link into the court incase some people wanna give it a peek to see what the city would look like..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o97ptwpcjw4uxum/snowfx_v102.rar

Melanie    4
Melanie

With SA:MP 0.3.8 coming.. it should be possible in a near future? Seems pretty cool to RP some cold days!

Edited by Melanie

Akiba    95
Akiba

How the current snow mods work replace the files of the map, whereas we have to add new objects. Which would mean we would have to delete the whole map and put that one in. I'm not sure how viable that will be. If someone else can figure out a way that'd be grand. I'll have a look later see if I can make the whole map one object and import it.

EDIT: Had a quick look, it's too much work to even attempt at getting it to work let alone having our developers add it. Maybe someday. I also have no idea how CLEOs work and that's the default software people use for their snow mod.

Aizec    7
Aizec

If somebody wants to install a snow mod on their GTA nobody stops them.

However, the RP is where it is all at, simply because somebody doesn't have a snow mod doesn't mean the server can't roleplay seasons. We could have a rule in which people need to roleplay seasons accordingly to the month we are in.

Stephen_Plascencia    13
Stephen_Plascencia
On 11/17/2017 at 4:49 PM, Aizec said:

If somebody wants to install a snow mod on their GTA nobody stops them.

However, the RP is where it is all at, simply because somebody doesn't have a snow mod doesn't mean the server can't roleplay seasons. We could have a rule in which people need to roleplay seasons accordingly to the month we are in.

Agreed.

Giga    369
Giga

Winter roleplay is a great experience, actually. It does not necessarily have to snow a lot, but maybe once in a while.

Reds    14
Reds

I know there is a script that makes it snow you can toggle it on or off i'm pretty sure. Was p-cool.

Zach    10
Zach

Go head and make us RP it cold which in Cali ain't all that cold. But you ain't finding no snow in the Bay.

Erty    23
Erty

Well, I'll just say honestly; we should wait for more development of 0.3.8, if this is wanted to happen. 0.3.8 is right now still in early stages and in foreseeable future, there might be great chances this happen.

apathy    39
apathy

I agree with the whole weather should be roleplayed properly within certain months. It adds basic realism, mods are a plus if you want to take it another step. I also remember that snow script and it would be cool to see on the server.

smallz    48
smallz

Colder weather and not a lot of snow, just once in a while indeed. I've read that there is actually snow in Bay Area irl although only in particular parts.

Bouncer    18
Bouncer

Scripted and mapped winter will just lag the fuck out of all of us lol, but it would be nice.

Nemo    30
Nemo

You can add a snowing mod to the server during the winter time, but instead it's easier to just make snow mod allowed for players to download, because some of players might want to RP snow, but doesn't want to have an actual mod or texture of snow because it causes lag and FPS drop sometimes.

Simeon    58
Simeon

It's even easier to just role play it doesn't snow in San Fierro and stick with the script. Rain is one of the most annoying things in-game (and causes players to lag) and I could imagine snow would be even more annoying.

Don't overcomplicate shit. None of the default GTA skins are suited for winter role play. People's mods that have summer clothes like shirts and shorts will be useless. It will force characters to do more boring stuff like stay indoors to duck the cold weather, instead of having fun loitering outside in the sun. It will upset players who think it shouldn't snow in cities like SF. Overcomplicates things even more if it's a downloadable optional thing to partake in e.g someone role playing it's snowing while for another player the weather is warm and there's no snow. Plus by the time they get the server going and look into adding more scripts, winter would have passed anyway.

• Like 1

Lei    33
Lei

Authenticity is important here. I don't see the point in roleplaying seasons accordingly if they aren't actually happening. I'm sure no one is going to want to walk around and pretend it's snowing. As for people with snow mods, again, there's a disconnect from other players who don't have the snow mod. It can kind of ruin the immersion.

I think seasons should be scripted in or not done at all if it's too much of a task, which by the look of Akiba's reply, it would be too difficult. 

I agree with Simeon, we shouldn't over complicate it. Let it rain every now and then, but nothing above and beyond.

Edited by Lei