• Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
St1ll3r__

[MODDING] Skins bugs/fixes!

St1ll3r__
Posted (edited)

Hello dear BA:RP players and fellow modding enthusiasts

I'm gonna write this guide to help out the people who are into skin modding and explain the most common problems related to it, since there's no guide to be seen about this and it is indeed very helpful.

This is supposed to be a community guide where the community unites and shares their own experiences as it benefits everyone and not only one individual

----------------------------------------------

Error #1

Model wouldn't load in time

Spoiler

nd8Au.png

Usually when I get this error is texture based and what is usually the problem is the textures related to the skin. Whenever I save a .txd with a texture that's not in *2 sequence (can't remember the name but it's the sequence that goes like: 2*2 = 4*2 = 8*2 = 16*2 = 32*2). So, try to remain with these values when talking about textures resolutions for instance 128x128, 512x256 and such!

I know there's a few other ways to achieve this error but I can't remember them correctly since I don't get it for a few years now.

Error #2

Spikes in skins

Spoiler

ndhvH.png

This is 90% of the times a problem related to bones.

When I get this type of bug (happens sometimes, it's kinda common), what I usually do is removing the current bones of the skin and re-doing the process with another skin's bones and adjusting them afterwards.

This always solved my problem, if you have a different way of fixing it, share it!

Error #3

Floating skins

Spoiler

This is boning problems, where the bones are actually below the actual model, so it floats, since the bones are what the game recognizes as "size".

Make sure, the bones in the legs are well fit otherwise your skin's legs gonna bug a lot.

They should look like this

nd0g1.png

Error #4

Weapons not well attached to the hand

Spoiler

This happens because the bones are not well fit into your model's hand and you should resize/rotate/move them in order to be exactly (or as close as possible) aligned with the hand.

The bones in your model's arms should look like this

ndKnO.png

Error #5

Holes in the skin (you can see through)

Spoiler

This one's a pretty common one and it's something I didn't really care about but recently due to feedback, it's something every skin modder should have into consideration when making them.

Problem is that the shirt/pants/whatever needs welding and there's an excellent guide for in this forums made by Conspiracy!

Shootout to him for this amazing guide and everyone should take a look so you stop committing this "mistake".

Guide

----------------------------------------------

These were the most common problems that I remembered on the go and I'm looking forward for other modders to add their own problems to this list as well as different solutions than the ones stated above.

Best regards and thanks!

Edited by St1ll3r__
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Mel-vin

Snapping an object is actually better than welding most of the time, so look into that rather.

• Like 1

St1ll3r__
3 minutes ago, %s[10] said:

Snapping an object is actually better than welding most of the time, so look into that rather.

Mind adding a little bit of detail to that? I've searched that up and actually sending people into a 3DS Max documentation page isn't really what we're looking forward to!

• Like 1

vans

Well done!

• Thanks 1

Koky

sick but you still have to make my skin 

• Thanks 1

Carmine

dope

• Thanks 1

St1ll3r__
3 hours ago, Koky said:

sick but you still have to make my skin 

What skin o.o

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

Kev

Nice, I'm sure modders will find this handy.

• Like 1

MeGusta

it helps SO MUCH Thanks

• Like 1