News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Gandalf

Keybinders / Lumberjack

Gandalf
Posted (edited)

I've only just returned to samp and as many others, have decided to put some effort into Bay Area and am looking forward to what it produces.

One thing ive always known before from playing other samp servers is to have a keybinder to help with tedious tasks as starting the engine on your car, locking it or even turning on/off your headlights. 

In reference to Rule 4: "Any modifications that give you an advantage over other players are strictly forbidden."

Now in my mediocre experience of samp, it is totally commonplace to have a keybinder. If you dont have a keybinder then you are at a massive disadvantage to other players who do when it comes to situations of combat where in some servers you had to RP withdrawing weapons or RP swinging punches. Or even the ability to ram your vehicle when done with RP. And it has never made me upset or feel i had been cheated when another player does use a keybind for any of the above or simpler things like animations. 

As the server is new and a bit of a grind as expected i think its totally ludicrous not to allow players to utilize this in order to make the pain of cutting down trees just a little bit easier when it is used in almost every other aspect of the game. And considering no one really does any of the other jobs due to the difference in efficiency. For example i highly doubt anyone has reported a trucker for using a keybinder to /starttruck, a taxi driver for going on duty or any /me's that may come as a part of that. So why wouldnt it be allowed for Lumberjack when it is such a tedious list of command, bearing in mind you already have to deal with the stress of finding one of the 8 trees available when there are 20 lumberjacks all bunnyhopping around like mad hatters unable to fufill their tree cutting addiction. 

I am under the impression that everyone (well atleast 95%) of samp players use a keybinder, so when people start getting kicked at lumberjack for "using 3rd party mod (keybinder) to abuse lumberjack" this it is very disheartening to see. Especially as it was 8:30 in the morning god have mercy. I for one really dont want to have to type the same 3 commands for an hour - 2 hours straight just to make $250 a tree. 

I also heard keybinds wont work soon i dont know if that is true?

If it could be clarified as to how such a game breaking advantage is created by keybinding as to make it a punishable offence at a job where you have to grind anyway, and often catch a glimpse of other lumberjacks miraculously sliding very fast between tree and delivery point. It is super demoralizing to read such things! 

Timmy.

Edited by Timothy Moretti
  • Like 1

BYLUG
Posted (edited)

I disagree. This is an unfair advantage to those using these binds whereas people who don't use them are at a very significant disadvantage. On multiple occasions, there are two or more people waiting on a tree and when one of those persons are using a keybind, the others can never win.

Edited by BYLUG

Gandalf
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, BYLUG said:

I disagree. This is an unfair advantage to those using these binds whereas people who don't use them are at a very significant disadvantage. On multiple occasions, there are two or more people waiting on a tree and when one of those persons are using a keybind, the others can never win.

Thats true but the source of the issue is the number of trees available and the insignificance of other jobs,  from what ive seen last night every player at that job is using a keybinder, infact the time i spent there last night/this morning  not a single person was typing /lumberjack cut  /deliver ect logs they stand there for the split 0.3 seconds that the command freezes you and dart away. 

If this is such a game breaking disadvantage surely it should be represented globally as illegal? and again in my eyes how can you ban keybinders as they are so essential to the speed of roleplay,

For example before i set up mine yesterday during roleplay i was alone and surrounded by a gang as i exited my car, I could barely even lock my car and type my 2nd message  they had overwhelmed me with a swarry of left hooks and uppercuts and i laid on the floor dead, were they in the wrong? surely if thats the case they should be punished for using an unfair 3rd party tool. I dont think so i blame myself for not being quick enough and not having key binds, i also lost my car from that situation. That wasnt even a pain in the ass but when it comes to cutting trees...

Edited by Timothy Moretti

Public Interest

I don't find a problem with bunnyhopping which has nothing to do with IC events.

Lockhart

I see where you're coming from, but if a truck driver or a taxi driver uses a bind to start their job it has no negative impact on other players nor does it put other players at a disadvantage. In terms of the lumber job, as you stated it is very competitive up there, and using binds would in fact put the other players doing the job at a disadvantage as you will be faster. In this case that will directly have a negative impact on them.

I know there are issues with the players at the lumber job and I spent a good portion of last night trying to get a lid on it but rest assured the problems are being addressed. I really can see where your frustration stems from because I've seen what its like.

HappyToker

I myself cant get keybinds to work unfortunately (trust me I tried) but I don't see much of an advantage. For lumberjack the trees regrow in seconds and for RP most consider that keybinds are powergaming and or non-roleplay as you don't give the other person to RP. But that's my two cents.

Volk420

90 percent of people using it and only 1 or 2 geting punished for it, It`s funny.

Gandalf

Well of course as soon as more trees are added then it will all be a bit more bearable, but i do honestly think people who report the other players probably use Keybind but just get annoyed when someone steals their tree. 

was just food for thought because under the definitions of the rule Keybinds would most definitely be considered an unfair advantage and most players would be punished.

Might be worth being discussed / clarifying on the rule page as when more scripts are added like lumberjack it may frustrate some.

• Like 1

Volk420
14 minutes ago, Timothy Moretti said:

Well of course as soon as more trees are added then it will all be a bit more bearable, but i do honestly think people who report the other players probably use Keybind but just get annoyed when someone steals their tree. 

was just food for thought because under the definitions of the rule Keybinds would most definitely be considered an unfair advantage and most players would be punished.

Might be worth being discussed / clarifying on the rule page as when more scripts are added like lumberjack it may frustrate some.

Exactly dude.

Trce.xk
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lockhart said:

I see where you're coming from, but if a truck driver or a taxi driver uses a bind to start their job it has no negative impact on other players nor does it put other players at a disadvantage. In terms of the lumber job, as you stated it is very competitive up there, and using binds would in fact put the other players doing the job at a disadvantage as you will be faster. In this case that will directly have a negative impact on them.

I know there are issues with the players at the lumber job and I spent a good portion of last night trying to get a lid on it but rest assured the problems are being addressed. I really can see where your frustration stems from because I've seen what its like.

This is coming from a guy who has made about 400k doing the lumberjack job over the past 2 weeks. (Or almost 2). It is completely a grind, but what is the difference of advantage between keybind and me simply just being able to type faster than the next person. Lets say this keybind rule stays correct? Keybinds aren't a hack so they aren't detected and as long as I don't spam my keybinds and hit them right away who would know right? Basically what I'm saying is that keyind actually level the playing field. Crazy? No! All keybind programs run the same for the most part and they also "Type" data into your computer at the same rate. So if everyone just uses keybinds everyone will be on the same playing field... essentially. Besides the only people IG complaing about others using keybinds are the ones who feel as if they aren't making as much as others. That's it! Its a bunch of QQ imo

Edited by Trce.xk

Blackburn

You don't have to use keybinds at all, just press T and upper arrow, it will return you the last text typed in the chat, you can scroll it too like that

• Like 1

Trce.xk
19 minutes ago, Blackburn said:

You don't have to use keybinds at all, just press T and upper arrow, it will return you the last text typed in the chat, you can scroll it too like that

That too. That is just as much advantage as keybinds. Because the text and can stay there and wait until you press T and Enter

HappyToker
1 hour ago, Trce.xk said:

That too. That is just as much advantage as keybinds. Because the text and can stay there and wait until you press T and Enter

Yeah but the good thing about that, is that everyone can do it as its in the core game/mod

• Like 1

Gandalf
3 hours ago, Trce.xk said:

Basically what I'm saying is that keyind actually level the playing field. Crazy? No! All keybind programs run the same for the most part and they also "Type" data into your computer at the same rate. So if everyone just uses keybinds everyone will be on the same playing field... essentially. Besides the only people IG complaing about others using keybinds are the ones who feel as if they aren't making as much as others.

Yeah thats what i was hoping it would viewed as. For me and many others who have maybe just come back to RP i could never keep up typing so keybinds are essential too me. 

Before i got them i did also use the up arrow but its stell pretty painful. Keybinders are just a given when on a samp server. Hope they add more trees soon.

Bagz

keybinds just make the job bearable is all

• Like 1