Sign in to follow this  
Mikee

Changing the syntax and make it uniform.

Mikee
Posted (edited)

Since more than one developer are working on the gamemode, it includes a diversity in syntax: often, in some systems, some sentences that would say the same thing, are expressed differently. A very clear example is the job system.

Why in the trucker job are instructions given by a GameText while in the lumberjack job instructions are given by a SendClientMessage? Why colors are different? It would be nice to make GM more orderly and less chaotic. 

I. JOBS:

There should be a pickup for each job. Once you get on the pickup you should see something like this:

6f084da62279e7e36a90f0386c2e5628.png

(I have included both the trucker job and the lumberjack job to make it clear that they should be the same)

And that's what should come out when you type /jobhelp:

a85786937be671f4edec684e953d133b.png

06c0dea94358de7c9d16f5c2afe1c01d.png

II. SYNTAX ERROR MESSAGES:

Currently, syntax error messages come out through a textdraw at the bottom of the screen.

For those who do not know what a syntax error message is, it's that message that comes out when you type a command correctly but missing some parameters:

Example: You type: /pm 18 -> Syntax Error Message: /pm [ID] [Text] (text is the missing parameter in this case).

I propose to remove the textdraws at the bottom of the screen and to make everything unitary, through simple and sober SendClientMessages, example:

3182b6260d6a2646c39e017cee489998.png

III. ERROR MESSAGES:

Error messages are are simply messages that appear when there's an error, and they should be just like syntax error message.

Examples:

0c68ee902648d14641b06cb61507275b.png

IV. INFO MESSAGES:

Info messages are messages that appear when you type a command correctly or when you do something successfully. In my opinion, these messages should all be the same to make everything less chaotic.

Examples:

17d25278626cbee535008eb7da07c3e7.png

Edited by Mikee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Justitiae

I agree, this looks good. I love the colours used too. The dark red for the error messages are just bad right now.

• Like 1

Amour Fou
Posted (edited)

I couldn't agree more. The colors that are used now are not aesthetic. 

Edited by Daniel_Faraci

Neaksy
Posted (edited)

I definitely agree with you especially for the error/info messages. It's not intuitive at all to have a temporary textdraw when you type a command incorrectly. It should be in the chat so that not only is it in your field of view, but it also allows you to read the chat again in case you've already forgotten the correct usage of a command. Having to type out the command again if you forgot the correct syntax or the other parameters is not convenient at all. The message upon entering a command should be shown in the chat.

I'll also add that the colors for some of the dialogues like /s(hout) should be changed as they don't make sense. /t, /s, etc should all be white to black depending on the distance like on LSRP. There shouldn't be two colors as seen below.

6705b26ac80938fa27bca04d817e0eae.png

The [OOC-L] should be removed from /b because not only the two parentheses that come after already indicate it is out-of-character, but everyone is already familiar with the command, meaning it's just unnecessary space wasted.

4558cc04460ba9217b56a483391271c4.png

When receiving or sending private messages, the name should include the _ underscore like for /b since it's OOC chat. I also think the color when sending a message should be the same as the color when receiving one, it's too dull.

887c60659c51e86b22bd03ab6475a420.jpg

When doing /ame, it should show your name in the chat instead of just the emote so like > Matthew Montana nods.

2557e786f2dcab8c6d9c7e341a64d648.png

Also, there is a problem when typing something that can't fit in one line. See the image below, the ellipsis is generated and a second line is created despite the fact that the characters over the limit are equal or shorter than the ellipsis itself (3 characters). In all cases it should only be on one line.

fdd3db5cfd08a11f2dddf78d2723f532.png

2773a1d45bb69aa727dd52faff34b9f4.png

That's all I can remember right now.

Edited by Neaksy
  • Like 2

Blackburn

I agree with both of your suggestions except the one that says pm recieve and sent message color should be the same, I can't agree with that since it would create  confusion.

Server colors are really bad and dark, from error messages and so on, it should be changed.

With everything else I agree, and Mike deserves a helper, he created more stuff than some admins, just my humble opinion.

Thanks Mike, keep on doing this!

• Like 1

Mikee
9 hours ago, Blackburn said:

I agree with both of your suggestions except the one that says pm recieve and sent message color should be the same, I can't agree with that since it would create  confusion.

Server colors are really bad and dark, from error messages and so on, it should be changed.

With everything else I agree, and Mike deserves a helper, he created more stuff than some admins, just my humble opinion.

Thanks Mike, keep on doing this!

Man, I love your words. You're one of the friendliest people in the community. 

• Thanks 1

Clout

Syntax has always been something that's bothered me on RP servers. I like to have stuff look clean.

The way you prestented it looks great.

• Like 1

Guest kane

I'm liking your suggestions and I do agree. I'll see what I can do about it. 

Mikee
7 hours ago, kane said:

I'm liking your suggestions and I do agree. I'll see what I can do about it. 

Thanks Kane.

ɢᴀᴜᴅʏ ᴘᴀᴄᴋ ᴋɪᴅᴅᴏ

This guy Mikee is prolly caring about server and it's development, he has all my respect.

Mikee
3 minutes ago, ɢᴀᴜᴅʏ ᴘᴀᴄᴋ ᴋɪᴅᴅᴏ said:

This guy Mikee is prolly caring about server and it's development, he has all my respect.

Dude, thanks for your words.