News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Sign in to follow this  
mattm

Some things I've noticed. (Please remain cordial)

mattm

This thread isn't to patronize, diminish, or pester to the BA:RP development team but I decided it might be a good idea to list some issues with the server that range from cosmetics, additions to gameplay that will serve to act as an undesirable nuisance, to already game-breaking commands.

• Role-play text problems.

a72bbbdef201da3b39ea09e2a59abd18.png

The addition of having your characters name continue if you exceed the certain character limit for the first line is off-putting and has 0 purpose for being there. We as a player-base should be/are more than capable of following two lines of text without having to be reminded that it's our or somebody else's characters. 

• Walking animation problems.

This one is pretty big for me seeing as some of these /walk animations have the ability to be game-breaking and overpowered. Out of the 26 /walk commands we are afforded only 15 of them are actual walking commands

(3, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26) and out of those 15, 4 of them are the same walking animation (3, 23, 17, 21).

722ef460adcd00773d0bdfc795960c85.png

The other walking commands are jogs and even full blown running animations. Players will be able to use some of these running animations to bypass having to manually run and suffer the consequence of fatigue. So what's the point of buying a car when you can /walk 19 and step away from your keyboard for a little bit? From what I know, scripting in animations is novice level and some of these mistakes shouldn't have slipped through the cracks.

24f28a8bf54e9c2f13d4fe92af86f54d.png

• Skin customization.

I'd like to preface this before saying anything about skin customization, the developers who are working on the UCP have done a fantastic job. The theme, layout, accsessibility, and simplicity is unmatched and I enjoy it a lot. That being said, what's the point in wasting time doing mundane things like going out of your way to pay in game money for a skin? I could see this being an option for the client-side models that were created but for regular skins? Look at the immaculate work of the UCP and how relatively easy it is to pick a skin to start your character off.

cc661a356598f30e2e5250c63af95ca5.png

What would be the harm in letting the player-base choose whatever skin they want at whatever time they feel appropriate by just logging into the already easily accessible UCP and changing their skin? You're able to do it when creating a character and I don't doubt or undermine the skills of our development team to easily implement this feature. 

• On screen pop-ups.

6dfe73793e6787c573a5b1fb8581af21.png

I personally believe that the in-game pop ups you get at the bottom of the screen doesn't serve any other purpose than being a general nuisance to the roleplaying experience. It's going to be hard for people to immerse themselves in their characters and the role-play if 'gamey' things like this are going to appear every time they put in a command wrong or anything else that might trigger the pop up. 

We should probably be aiming to put more emphasis on roleplay by getting rid of these type on on-screen cosmetics and just keeping everything text-based and brief. This addition to the server can and will make it harder for people to take screenshots (I know this is kind of a minute point but nonetheless) maybe if we stuck to a simpler text-based system for things like this we can put more effort into working on implementing additions to the server that will help it run smoother and make it easier to swallow for new players.

This is just a small amount of things I found pretty aggravating or concerning when stepping foot into the server and I feel as if a lot of people are going to have the same opinion. I want this to be more of a community-wide discussion thread. If you disagree with some of my requests for changes please let me know why you think like that and why it should stay. 

I want to be clear as possible when I say that this thread wasn't to shit on the hard work that the development team has put into the server but to shed some light on some things that were built into the server to serve as a fundamental way to play. I don't think I am in the minority about some of these issues because at the end of the day what matters most is your experience on the server. I personally feel that it's going to be harder and harder to establish any sort of symbiosis between the player base and the server if more and more of these types of mundane and unnecessary additions are implemented. 

Edited by mattm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

crimeson

agree with the skins and the /me thingy

Midnight Tick
Just now, mattm said:

The other walking commands are jogs and even full blown running animations. Players will be able to use some of these running animations to bypass having to manually run and suffer the consequence of fatigue. So what's the point of buying a car when you can /walk 19 and step away from your keyboard for a little bit?

That is absurd. Literally all of the walking animations that are running, are jogging. They're not made to abuse because they're not going at full speed.

I agree with the rest, and I would like to add that /low lacks a space between says and [low].

aK8QtFf.png

Thuggy

Good topic, make sure you post it in the right section so your suggestions and bug reports can be easy seen by the developers.

mattm
31 minutes ago, Midnight Tick said:

That is absurd. Literally all of the walking animations that are running, are jogging. They're not made to abuse because they're not going at full speed.

I agree with the rest, and I would like to add that /low lacks a space between says and [low].

aK8QtFf.png

Use /walk 18 in game and tell me that it is jogging and won't be abused in the future.

Riva

Agreed. Also remove the pop ups that show up on the bottom of the screen if you miss type a command. 

Inimene123

I agree with the /me thing. Also the running animations are quite stupid, as they can easily be used to bypass afk script. 

mattm
19 hours ago, Riva said:

Agreed. Also remove the pop ups that show up on the bottom of the screen if you miss type a command. 

^ This

mattm

Added another portion

DavidG

I agree with all of these things.

Comethazine

Also agree. Another reason : eUkacAu.mp4 

eUkacAu.mp4

The pop up's have been a really big problem. I don't even own a truck, and the timer is still going up as you can see in the video. Also the whole "sprunk" idea is a bit nooby in my perspective. Because you could run into a store after getting into a fight, quickly press f and /sa and go to the other one and keep alternating untill you're at full health.

2nd topic. This goes along with what you said, but the running anims half of them are just buggy, and going to be abused. There would be no point in using this run, unless your rping a running back in football. 

JbrWrX0.mp4

3rd Topic. The vehicles. When I try to go onto a BMX and its "locked" which BMX's shouldn't be able to because how are you going to lock it. I get on and the tires don't move. And also when i'm in someones car, and I do all the RP, and try to /engine you don't even have the option to hotwire. cwpbaWd.png

NOTE: I know this server just opened, don't think i'm bashing on anyone. Just stating some things they should add in the future. Thanks. -Comethazine.

Edited by Comethazine

Comethazine

Incase you didin't see the gifs. 

tLFGmFf.png

T8dNDu9.png

qrxSsTg.png

Lockhart

The /me issue has been fixed.

You now get to choose your skin from a preview screen in the clothes store. Hopefully a UCP version will follow soon though.

• Thanks 1

Diesel

I'm personally not a fan of the error messages appearing at the bottom of my screen. They disapear after a while and if I don't manage to read it all before it does, it's annoying.

I think there should be an in-game option to switch between either errors at the bottom of your screen, or text based. This would keep everyone happy.

Bishop

Another issue is the roleplaying text, /b and everything. All the colours feel off and that is due to not having the regular nametags and health bars I'm guessing. They had to create their own or something like that.

Just go back to healthbars and the regular sa-mp text colour scheme.

• Like 1