News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Sign in to follow this  
Baron

Extension of prison time

Baron

After browsing through the Penal Code I've noticed that the max prison time is around 300 minutes, I understand a small percentage of people actually enjoy prison RP but I feel like it's essential for an illegal underworld to exist. Maybe implementing longer prison time will deter people from doing crime in general and just increase the amount of RP in prison. According to the Penal Code committing murder is only a four hour sentence which in all honestly is pretty light. What do you guys think of possibly doubling the prison times which currently exist to make crime more of a serious subject ICly.

Peter

Yeah I can agree to this.

Sinister

I'm still not sure if there's even a Department of Corrections in the server yet, maybe I didn't do enough digging on it. But I do agree that prison is certainly a big portion of criminal roleplay and it gives prison factions the drive to roleplay in prison due to the amount of population that would be in the facility if the time was increased. Not only that, just like Baron had said it would definitely make people think twice before doing crimes in the server and it keeps everyone on their toes, as it would in the real world.

Neaksy

I've always preferred the idea of sentences being in days—with the time going down while offline—and not mere hours, with murderers receiving life sentences and mass murderers getting death penalty. Perhaps by converting IRL year sentences to days IG to make it easier. A five hours maximum is nothing for active players and it makes the job useless for PD arresting dangerous criminals since they can be imprisoned in the morning and released in the afternoon of the same day, just four hours later. I can already imagine that people just AFK through hour sentences as they do on LS, also the player-base is smaller at the moment so there aren't people to RP with all the time so you can't expect people not to idle. People who do enjoy prison RP could stay online while the AFKers can leave or go on an alt. Once the server is ready for a DOC faction a parole system and a program to reduce the prison times of well-behaved prisoners could be put in place, it would encourage people to log on and roleplay with the COs if they want to get out sooner.

Naybors
12 hours ago, Sinister said:

I'm still not sure if there's even a Department of Corrections in the server yet, maybe I didn't do enough digging on it. But I do agree that prison is certainly a big portion of criminal roleplay and it gives prison factions the drive to roleplay in prison due to the amount of population that would be in the facility if the time was increased. Not only that, just like Baron had said it would definitely make people think twice before doing crimes in the server and it keeps everyone on their toes, as it would in the real world.

Dunwich

More prison time increases RP activity in prison in my opinion and also more prison time would also make players think twice before committing  a severe crime. For pplayers who don't enjoy prison RP, it would scare them a bit, knowing that doing something illegal would lock em up for a long time.So in short increases RP activity in prison and also lowers crime rate in the server (though I doubt it would go down, probably not). 

I like this idea of yours.

JohnnyCavalli
9 hours ago, Neaksy said:

I've always preferred the idea of sentences being in days—with the time going down while offline—and not mere hours, with murderers receiving life sentences and mass murderers getting death penalty. Perhaps by converting IRL year sentences to days IG to make it easier. A five hours maximum is nothing for active players and it makes the job useless for PD arresting dangerous criminals since they can be imprisoned in the morning and released in the afternoon of the same day, just four hours later. I can already imagine that people just AFK through hour sentences as they do on LS, also the player-base is smaller at the moment so there aren't people to RP with all the time so you can't expect people not to idle. People who do enjoy prison RP could stay online while the AFKers can leave or go on an alt. Once the server is ready for a DOC faction a parole system and a program to reduce the prison times of well-behaved prisoners could be put in place, it would encourage people to log on and roleplay with the COs if they want to get out sooner.

making the prison time in days would just result in many people going inactive to serve the time and the playerbase will drop for anyone in prison and they'd just go offline and theres a chance they just fall inactive and not log back on again. its basically like serving a ban.

Neaksy
4 hours ago, JohnnyCavalli said:

making the prison time in days would just result in many people going inactive to serve the time and the playerbase will drop for anyone in prison and they'd just go offline and theres a chance they just fall inactive and not log back on again. its basically like serving a ban.

Whether it's days or hours, it always feels like OOC punishment. People argue that hours sentences is basically admin jail with extra roleplay. I wouldn't say days makes it feel like a ban, you can have alternative characters or roleplay in prison either way (you have the choice to wait, roleplay or play on an alternative character), whereas hours where the only way for the sentence to go down is to stay online does feel like player punishment (you would be forced to be online for those X hours to get out). It depends on the severity of the crime committed really. If you're going to deliberately go out of your way to take somebody's life then you shouldn't expect to be out in just a few hours. So while the criminal roleplayers may go inactive while their character is imprisoned, there would be less crime committed because there would be actual consequences. You wouldn't see so much crime, and you wouldn't see the same criminals back in town so quickly if they were gone for more than a few hours. There could still be incentives to keep people active, as I've described good behavior in prison could give you a time reduction, or a parole system may be put in place for some prisoners even if they are sentenced for the most horrible crimes (which could be explained by San Fierro's more liberal culture). Right now it makes little sense because the maximum of just five hours makes the law enforcement agency's job useless, people can idle for a few hours and be back the same day as if nothing happened. There has to be another way for the sentence to go down instead of staying online because there isn't always a sufficient prison population to roleplay with.

Edited by Neaksy