Sign in to follow this  
syler

Restricting map access

syler    31
syler

Sadly, I've been told that map-access out of Flint County, San Fierro, Bayside, Whetstones and some surrounding areas will be restricted by land, meaning you can not enter places like Red-County, Los Santos or Las Venturas with a vehicle (pretty sure if you tried hard enough, you could get out on foot) which I personally think is a horrible idea for a few reasons that I wish to list below, please note I really want everyone's opinion on the matter as it's quite a big deal:

• Restricting play-area limits roleplay, which is the main

focus of the server.

• Once again, limits where jobs can go, see my Lumberjack suggestion.

apparently that wont work out as the bridge from the Chemical Plant to Panopticon is blocked and so forth.

• Limits criminal RP and makes pursuits A LOT easier on SFPD, which is no surprise

as there is an extremely small amount of land you can use to escape the police and illegal activities/deals can only

realistically happen in a short number of places, one of the main ones I believe being the Whetstones forest.

..and probably more reasons which I can't be bothered to list at 06:30AM. Please leave your feedback below along with reasoning with your opinion as this has a very huge impact and could possibly somewhat determine it's future in someway and what direction it will head in.

Little strawpoll in case you don't want to comment: https://strawpoll.com/s4ee4dx1 (( IF FELT APPROPRIATE BY STAFF, PLEASE MOVE TO GENERAL DISCUSSION IF NEEDED ))

Edited by syler

thatoneiowan    81
thatoneiowan

Given the amount of streets and alleys in San Fierro, if you know what you're doing, you can make a run for it relatively easily. Admittedly, yes, it does make it harder, but not inherently impossible. Besides, the majority of chases "in the real world" either end up with an arrest or are called off for safety reasons. 

The current playable area has ample space for what needs to be done - alternative drop off points, specifically for the lumber job suggested, include the construction site across from Wang Autos, the recycling plant/factory north of Angel Pine (could be edited to where it doesn't resemble a recycling area, and give a lower payout due to distance), the shipping location near the chemical plant, the mapped RS Haul next to the driving school, The Docks north of the airport / south of the Navy Yard, and maybe even the docks near Pier 69.

Illegal activities can also occur in run down areas and/or alleyways in the city. San Fierro has a LOT of alleys. I can't recall the last time I saw a drug deal happen in the middle of a corn field out here. (Sorry, bit of sarcasm there...)

I know what you're thinking...

opinion.gif

Yes, that was in my opinion. (Someone please understand the reference!!)

• Like 1

Adorn    5
Adorn

I agree with thatoneiowan. 

Especially as the server is just starting off. If you have a vehicle pursuit with two officers online and the criminal takes them into LS... who's handling C4S in San Fierro, then? 

I would say until the playerbase is identified and at a steady level it would be reasonable to lift the "barriers" 

josef    43
josef

I do feel that the limitations are plausible, given the obvious initial size of the server once it opens. Whilst the restriction can be straining for some, as @thatoneiowan mentioned, there are plenty of alternative locations for where roleplay can take place. I admit myself that it could have a minimal effect on roleplay, but the other possibilities and outlets for roleplay that would (hopefully) be available within the contained play area would mean that the limitations would have little effect on the playing experience.

As @Adorn said, until the playerbase reaches a reasonable size, I think that it is wise to keep it limited. Besides, smaller play area = more players in given area = higher chance of encountering other players.

• Like 1

Faizaan    19
Faizaan

Just saying... Bayside's going to be a pain when it comes to illegal roleplay. Any pursuit going into there is ended by blocking the bridge and there is no escape route for anyone in any illegal circumstance (for example if your house was being raided you would not be able to make a run for it as the bridge would be blocked off). Also, Baysides tunnels are being blocked off, I recommend putting roadworks in the tunnels as if you simply block it off realistically you wouldnt have such an expensive bridge going to a place like Bayside.

tw1ster    388
tw1ster

I think before we open things up, we should see how the server operates. SF is huge, there's a ton of back-alleys to dip from the cops. When the server opens, there's probably not going to be as many cops as you think either. You're right about it limiting chases (is that really a bad thing though?) but I don't think it makes it impossible by any means. I think you'll be surprised as to where you can go. I've been in game, the only zones that are blocked off is the Bayside tunnel and Los Santos it's self, you can pretty much go anywhere else (haven't tried LV.) but there's a ton of space.

It's a smart suggestion, you're thinking ahead. I think we should get in game and assess it before we make any changes.

• Like 1

thatoneiowan    81
thatoneiowan
1 hour ago, tw1ster said:

I've been in game, the only zones that are blocked off is the Bayside tunnel and Los Santos it's self, you can pretty much go anywhere.

I forgot to close the Garver bridge. Well, actually, I need to send Rehasher two lines of code.

Both rural Flint County - Red County bridges are closed as well as the Flint Range - Los Santos one. 

• Like 1

FlowN    6
FlowN

I personally think that limiting the play area brings more benefits than negativity. One obvious example, 100 players spread across one city will make it feel and look way more alive than the same hundred spread across the whole map. However, the whole concept, we'll just have to wait and see where it goes.

Fabian    30
Fabian
3 hours ago, FlowN said:

I personally think that limiting the play area brings more benefits than negativity. One obvious example, 100 players spread across one city will make it feel and look way more alive than the same hundred spread across the whole map. However, the whole concept, we'll just have to wait and see where it goes.

I'll second that, definitely we can expand a lot of lore and create more centered roleplay around a smaller area than across the entire map, it's perfect the way it's gonna be. Especially since San Fierro is an immense city in comparison to Los Santos, despite not having that much of a ghetto area.

Faizaan    19
Faizaan

inb4youopenitallupandcomplainyoucantfindanyone

DeadlyMuffin    3
DeadlyMuffin

My opinion is that we should see how the server goes first, if it immediately has a steady playerbase of 200-300 players, and many people want all the areas unblocked, then maybe something can be done about it, but imagine having 50-100 players spread across the whole map, yeah-..nope.

Grintch.    11
Grintch.
On 11/6/2017 at 3:57 AM, Faizaan said:

Bayside's going to be a pain when it comes to illegal roleplay.

I probably say that the role play don't need to be restricted in some zone. The people it's not going to role play just in San Fierro, and it's going to role play in some not too far away towns like Fort Carson. 

Faizaan    19
Faizaan
1 hour ago, Grintch. said:

I probably say that the role play don't need to be restricted in some zone. The people it's not going to role play just in San Fierro, and it's going to role play in some not too far away towns like Fort Carson. 

I'm thinking Bayside will be like the Mulholland/Richmond to Los Santos for San Fierro. So once illegal factions develop into something big and begin making money, they will move there too.

Fabian    30
Fabian
3 hours ago, Faizaan said:

I'm thinking Bayside will be like the Mulholland/Richmond to Los Santos for San Fierro. So once illegal factions develop into something big and begin making money, they will move there too.

Think of it as the suburbs Russian mobsters move to with their families to prove they're not a menace to society.

thekillergreece    53
thekillergreece

Currently, LS and LV will be blocked off completely. The only playable area is San Fierro, Bayside, Whetsone and Flint County. Anywhere other than that is blocked off. The reasons are logic, we are not sure how big the playerbase will be.

It would be akward to see a police pursuit going to LV and SF remains with no players or something. Blocking off the rest world parts ALSO increases the chances to encounter another player in San Fierro.

Of course, do not mistake grand openings as high playerbase. Let's say, 100 players join on grand opening, this does not mean it will be 100 tomorrow, it could be 30 players. And on third day, it could be higher or lower which is pretty normal. It will need daily and stable playerbase before deciding to make the map bigger. Let's say, there is 100 daily playerbase then sure, some map parts could be unlocked.

Edited by thekillergreece

Sign in to follow this