News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Sign in to follow this  
Teoras

Car names/vehicle economy

Teoras

(didn't know what to call this thread but w/e)

Hi, decided to make a thread on this topic since I saw some people complaining about when people call in game cars something like a Mercedes or a Nissan GTR, instead of their real in-game names.

I don't know if this is even possible to do in SAMP, just gonna put this out there before I start with the suggestion, but I thought why not make this thread anyway?

So, on a MTA server I played a bit on, they had this custom vehicle script. To add immersion, they had real life vehicles in the game. The way they did it was quite smart. You would press down the ALT button(I believe.) and it would show some info on the car, similar to the command in SAMP that shows the debug info of a vehicle. However, the info in those fields would be the car brand and model, plus some extra information like the license plate number, and the year the car was made.

Now, what made it even more special was, they had proper handling set up for each individual car model. So lets say two different cars, like a Toyota Corolla and a Honda Accord use the same vehicle model, lets say a Primo. They would look the same, but they had different handlings. This allowed people to actually have real life cars(and bikes) in the game with the games limitations. To say the least, it impressed me a lot, because it was so immersive. 

Another thing they did have was a proper vehicle economy, where you could buy different used/new cars people THEMSELVES chose to import into the server for in game money. I'm not sure how they went about doing that, but you could import vehicles of your choosing and you would pay someone, most likely an admin, to get the car into the server and in the city. 

Now, I'm not sure if it is at all possible to do the same thing in SAMP, like I said before, but theoretically it would be possible to at least introduce this system partially. I know you could just say 'I have this car IC'ly, so pretend I'm driving that', but in my opinion, that just ruins the immersion and sometimes creates a mess when discussing vehicles, because you don't know whether to use in-game names or real life car names.

I'm interested to see what you guys think.

Edited by Teoras

Rareshh2601

Ok. The part with info is good but with skin.  It would be a mess , because not everyone has I9 and geforce on their pc/laptop.

Edited by Rareshh2601

Don Delgado

Yes, I fully understand and support this. I also played MTA and the vehicle system is amazing when done this way. 100% for this one.

• Like 1

Teoras
4 hours ago, Rareshh2601 said:

Ok. The part with info is good but with skin.  It would be a mess , because not everyone has I9 and geforce on their pc/laptop.

What do PC specs have to do with this? 

Also I didnt say anything about adding car skins, it would be too hard. 

Edited by Teoras

Xenpai

Maybe there could be IC brands for cars to modernize stuff a little bit. For example, the high-class vehicles would have luxury brands on them (E.g. Rolls-Royce Stafford, Hyundai Huntley, etc..) while cheaper vehicles would have different brands (E.g. Lada Admiral). Of course they wouldn't have to be real life brands and there could be IC companies for cars instead.

Or maybe one day SA-MP will have custom vehicles.

Morrel

I don’t think this will work over SAMP very well as much as MTA, but if you’re really looking forward for a better vehicles’ system, why not making a tuning system, which will make people able to modify their engines ( and limit the car speed scriptwisely depending on the engine level, for ex: Level 1 engine reaches maximumly 100 Km/h , level 2 engine reaches 120 and so on ), and same goes for transmission with specific handling lines set for every level, that’d make it less complicated for both developers & players, not to mention the physical tunes which should be obviously added.

Edited by Morrel

Teoras

That would also be cool. Though like I said, no need to have custom skins. Could just have names with a command/button you press to see the car model and brand. 

Though having upgrades would be cool too. 

Neaksy

Disagree. Let's keep in-game brands. In the scenario that SA-MP eventually supports server-sided vehicles, the staff wouldn't add real-life models into the game but cars from older GTA games or cars that fit the GTA SA atmosphere (and none of the server-sided models will have real-life brands on them), so the idea that we should allow people to rename the car to whatever real-life car we want it to be is silly. In most situations everyone will describe your car as the in-game name ICly, let's not make this more complicated. As for importing vehicles, I don't really understand what you're suggesting.

• Like 4

Marty
16 minutes ago, Neaksy said:

Disagree. Let's keep in-game brands. In the scenario that SA-MP eventually supports server-sided vehicles, the staff wouldn't add real-life models into the game but cars from older GTA games or cars that fit the GTA SA atmosphere (and none of the server-sided models will have real-life brands on them), so the idea that we should allow people to rename the car to whatever real-life car we want it to be is silly. In most situations everyone will describe your car as the in-game name ICly, let's not make this more complicated. As for importing vehicles, I don't really understand what you're suggesting.

I agree with Neaksy's point. As much as I would enjoy having something like this, it just is not possible and creates confusion which is not necessary at all. But the players can still roleplay their car to be whatever they wish it to be (to a realistic standard) eg: Buffalo is a Ford Mustang or Chevrolet Camaro or whatever. We don't really need a script for this, although it would be a nice to have a way to show a description of the car if a button or a command is typed similar to character descriptions that show above their names. But this is definitely not needed at the beginning and there are much more important features that will need to be implemented or fixed, but it could be put on a back burner to perhaps be introduced sometime.

• Like 1

Teoras
55 minutes ago, Neaksy said:

Importing as in you cant find a specific car model you want in the market, and you later find out there is no such model in the city. You pay ic'ly to import it from another state/country. 

I dont understand why its silly to have real car names instead of the confusing 'let them call them what they want, if they want to.' system. Not only would it be less confusing, itd be more immersive. It personally made me very impressed in the MTA server I went on. 

Teoras
44 minutes ago, Marty said:

I agree with Neaksy's point. As much as I would enjoy having something like this, it just is not possible and creates confusion which is not necessary at all. But the players can still roleplay their car to be whatever they wish it to be (to a realistic standard) eg: Buffalo is a Ford Mustang or Chevrolet Camaro or whatever. We don't really need a script for this, although it would be a nice to have a way to show a description of the car if a button or a command is typed similar to character descriptions that show above their names. But this is definitely not needed at the beginning and there are much more important features that will need to be implemented or fixed, but it could be put on a back burner to perhaps be introduced sometime.

Yeah, I agree with that description thingy, better than nothing at all. Like an /examine but for cars. 

Neaksy
15 minutes ago, Teoras said:

Importing as in you cant find a specific car model you want in the market, and you later find out there is no such model in the city. You pay ic'ly to import it from another state/country. 

I dont understand why its silly to have real car names instead of the confusing 'let them call them what they want, if they want to.' system. Not only would it be less confusing, itd be more immersive. It personally made me very impressed in the MTA server I went on. 

For the vehicle import I don't see why it would be useful at all, there are only so many cars in the default game we can use, and the overwhelming majority of them will be available to purchase on the server except a few dozens that the staff team decided not to make available, so what would be the point of this?

And it's silly to use other names for IG cars because they already have names. You can't go around and call San Fierro San Francisco or the Cluckin' Bell KFC, they already have names. It doesn't add anything of value to roleplay your Elegy as a Nissan Skyline GT-R, it only makes it more confusing because people who aren't familiar with real-life models wouldn't be able to recognize cars they know the name of just fine in-game. Let's all have different names for everything and see how confusing it'll get when nobody knows what the other person's talking about.

Edited by Neaksy
  • Like 1

Teoras
23 minutes ago, Neaksy said:

For the vehicle import I don't see why it would be useful at all, there are only so many cars in the default game we can use, and the overwhelming majority of them will be available to purchase on the server except a few dozens that the staff team decided not to make available, so what would be the point of this?

And it's silly to use other names for IG cars because they already have names. You can't go around and call San Fierro San Francisco or the Cluckin' Bell KFC, they already have names. It doesn't add anything of value to roleplay your Elegy as a Nissan Skyline GT-R, it only makes it more confusing because people who aren't familiar with real-life models wouldn't be able to recognize cars they know the name of just fine in-game. Let's all have different names for everything and see how confusing it'll get when nobody knows what the other person's talking about.

I don't understand what you mean by 'there are only so many cars in the default game we can use'. I already pointed it out, we'd have to use the same model for a lot of cars, but the benefit is more realism and less confusion, because a Buffalo is not going to be a Ford Mustang or x name, it's going to be what it is scripted to be. I've had plenty of times in LSRP where people asked me what my car was, expecting to hear a real-life car name but instead I tell them it's a buffalo.

With this system, you not only have more realism and a more interesting vehicle system, you have more flexibility when it comes to making cars do a specific purpose. It just creates a lot more roleplay, saying it from experience. They also had the same system with bikes too, and it was very fun just trying out the handling of each individual bike(since I couldn't afford a car in that server). 

Though it might not even be possible to do in SAMP, at least they could add a command where you can check the description of the car, like I said previously. But, once again, like I said previously, having this sort of system was much more fun than being limited to like 4 sports cars and 5 bikes in the game. It's a way to get around the limited number of vehicle models in the game.

Also, with your name logic, you might as well just call the United States something else like 'United Countries of North America', just saying. That argument doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

Neaksy
32 minutes ago, Teoras said:

I don't understand what you mean by 'there are only so many cars in the default game we can use'. I already pointed it out, we'd have to use the same model for a lot of cars, but the benefit is more realism and less confusion, because a Buffalo is not going to be a Ford Mustang or x name, it's going to be what it is scripted to be. I've had plenty of times in LSRP where people asked me what my car was, expecting to hear a real-life car name but instead I tell them it's a buffalo.

With this system, you not only have more realism and a more interesting vehicle system, you have more flexibility when it comes to making cars do a specific purpose. It just creates a lot more roleplay, saying it from experience. They also had the same system with bikes too, and it was very fun just trying out the handling of each individual bike(since I couldn't afford a car in that server). 

Though it might not even be possible to do in SAMP, at least they could add a command where you can check the description of the car, like I said previously. But, once again, like I said previously, having this sort of system was much more fun than being limited to like 4 sports cars and 5 bikes in the game. It's a way to get around the limited number of vehicle models in the game.

Also, with your name logic, you might as well just call the United States something else like 'United Countries of North America', just saying. That argument doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

What I mean by this is that we can't add more cars into the game, and most vehicles will be purchasable. Why roleplay different models for the same in-game car? What you're suggesting is adding more confusion (because the same car would have so many different names?) and not more realistic, as we're not roleplaying in real-life but in a fictional universe. What's wrong with telling them it's a Buffalo? It doesn't matter what the name is.

It's not possible to change the handling of cars, SA-MP is more limited than MTA. Changing the description of cars would be useless. You put whatever description in a hypothetical /carexamine and most people won't even bother checking it out. It would be so inconvenient to use as the only ways I can think of is either doing /dl (which not many people know about), read the vehicle ID and do /carexamine [ID] which isn't convenient to use, or having a random 3D text pop up over the vehicle which would be annoying to see when several cars are nearby. To me it's no different than just RPing it yourself, you can do a quick /my Buffalo would be dirty and it does the same thing.

I don't get what you mean by renaming the USA UCNA, what? The games clearly take place in the USA, with the only exceptions being that several cities and states are fictional like San Andreas. I'm saying the cars already have in-game names and it's simpler to just stick to using them.

Edited by Neaksy

Blackburn

Let's just keep it like it is, no need for this, I disagree with the suggestion

Sign in to follow this