News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Sign in to follow this  
liew

Clarification on City Names and States (And other stuff)

liew

Right, so something that was brought to my attention is that in threads such as the "San Fierro Ghetto's Connect" one, I've seen people refer to Liberty City as New York City. I've always thought that as San Andreas as a game is set in the 3D Universe of GTA, there's no such thing as New York City IC. I'd personally just like a bit more clarification on this in the rules, even for stuff such as car brands and clothing brands such as "Binco." Which in other RP servers have sometimes been referred to as IRL counterparts, which in my opinion triggers me quite a bit, seeing a, let's say, an Admiral being called a Mercedes.

There should just be a little footnote or something saying that "This is set in the 3D/It's own Custom Universe which uses cities such as Liberty City = NYC, Las Venturas = Las Vegas ETC."

The same can be done for car brands IC if need be.

I've only written this as I feel that it can offer other people clarification, and myself clarification on what to actually call these things ICly.

Xoxo.

• Like 2

Clout

how about we just roleplay san andreas replacing the entirety of california, half of nevada, and a bit of arizona, the rest of the world as it is and we're merry?

no need to over complicate things.

• Like 1

Boss

Sorry, but I don't understand what your suggestion is. It is very clear that GTA has attempted to duplicate certain areas, vehicles, etc. If that is something that bothers you, that just how GTA was made and that's why people sometimes call areas, objects, vehicles, etc. by the real name.

• Like 1

liew
2 minutes ago, Boss said:

Sorry, but I don't understand what your suggestion is. It is very clear that GTA has attempted to duplicate certain areas, vehicles, etc. If that is something that bothers you, that just how GTA was made and that's why people sometimes call areas, objects, vehicles, etc. by the real name.

My suggestion, as it says in the title, is far more clarification as to what we call things IC.

Or at least what we call things IC which have an IRL counterpart, i.e New York, Los Angeles, car brands etc.

It bothers me because you all have people saying different things on threads, and it rather confuses me as to whether New York is a place in our universe. For a roleplaying game, I hope it's not too much to ask for at least a bit more clarification on it so my immersion isn't ruined by someone calling something something else.

Boss

IC we would call what they are actually called in GTA. By this I mean, you wouldn't call San Fierro "San Francisco" just because it's the real area. In character, you would call all the vehicles by the name that they have been used in GTA as well as all other areas, objects, and stores.

I hope this is clear.

liew
Just now, Boss said:

IC we would call what they are actually called in GTA. By this I mean, you wouldn't call San Fierro "San Francisco" just because it's the real area. In character, you would call all the vehicles by the name that they have been used in GTA as well as all other areas, objects, and stores.

I hope this is clear.

I was using them as examples as a """"certain other""""" rp server, some people use IRL brands. I was mainly referring to city names anyway, I was just using brands as an example.

Boss

Yeah, I think your question was: "what we call things IC which have an IRL counterpart?"

And I answered that in my previous post. Correct me if that wasn't the answer you were looking for.

Lockhart

To be honest from an IC perspective if a character refers to San Fierro as San Francisco I'm going to follow them up with a confused response. San Fierro is San Fierro. 

I personally don't mind if someone roleplays their Premier as a Crown Victoria, or so on, because that really doesn't cause confusion. When you start switching up names for locations it does cause confusion.

Weston

To be honest from an OOC perspective if a character refers to San Fierro as San Francisco I'm going to follow them up with smack on the bum.

If there's a GTA SA counterpart for an IRL place, such as Liberty City for New York, then you should use them. It causes great confusion.

It should be okay to refer to cities not named in the GTA Universe tho.

I don't know about car brands, it can probably go the same way as above.

• Like 2

Hammond

I personally hate using IRL states replaced with San Andreas ones

Why don't we simply just call them by the in-game stated city? just call San Fierro the way it is, no need to over complicate things by calling it nevada or LA bla bla

btw, top gear/grand tour fans would notice that the trio posted on this  topic XD

Neaksy

Yeah. I've always used GTA 3D Universe elements when there is an equivalent. It's very annoying to have to roleplay with people who acknowledge the existence of California or NYC when they aren't supposed to exist. San Fierro replaces San Francisco on BA-RP, it's a fact for the simple reasons that the phone area codes (415 and 628) and ZIP codes (94016-94188) for San Fierro are the same ones used by San Francisco IRL.

ktHQYky.jpg

As for vehicles I've always referred to cars using the brands that were introduced in GTA IV and 5, some cars are obvious like Benefactor Admiral, Grossi Cheetah, Bürgerfahrzeug (abbrev. BF) Club and so on. I dislike the idea of renaming the cars to IRL models because it just leads to unnecessary confusion.

There are servers like FiveM that added disclaimers on the universe:

2e328c4d07ad6f4cd9328e1c7f123898.png

This is easy to do and prevents conflicts between people's RP.

• Like 1

juwo

sanfierro san fransisco - LS = LA - las venturas las vegas..

thats what rockstar went for,, what about the countrysides tho?

Weston

Just call places by what they are called in the game.

No need to get all bogged down in dumb names and trying to figure out irl counterparts.

If there isn’t a name for a city you want to RP coming from, such as Kampala in Uganda, use the IRL name.

Keep San Fierro San Fierro and keep Kampala Kampala.

• Like 1

Singh

Just keep it by the game's names and there is no reason to complicate things for those who probably have no idea where San Francisco is lol. GTA WIKIPEDIA FOLKS

• Like 1