News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Sign in to follow this  
Montreal

Melee Theft Auto

Montreal

My suggestion is that to provide more options in combat and to diversify roleplay, more melee weapons are offered and melee combat is encouraged by introducing options for strawmen and factions to get their hands on and distribute weapons such as brass knuckles, bats, golf- and hockey sticks, et cetera (chainsaw, katana could be more rare and expensive). There are also a lot of unused melee items like canes and stuff that could be changed for other melee items should there be a need (nunchucks anyone?). This could create other roleplay opportunities like swords having a large value in the underground market (real Japanese swords) or whatever as just an example. My suggestion is just an opportunity to lower gunfights over stuff that could be resorted in melee battles and an overall more old school approach to roleplay. This would also make the illegal roleplay curve less steep for people that aren't as criminal (kids getting into crime and getting handed a 9mm on their first day as an example). Also, too many pitiful arguments in the past have ended in gunfights and it just makes you feel like you've been cheated in some situations, because of how a very immersive situation ends up quickly in a shitty Call of Duty match with everybody dying. I think encouraging more barfights and melee action could serve as means for progression in this trigger-happy mentality and a more healthy roleplay environment. I guess I'm curious in the first place of what kind of melee weapons are possible to use, shit like scissors and screwdrivers would also be great to see, if not only for melee purposes, then whatever.

Thanks for considering my suggestion.

Edited by Montreal

Lockhart

I agree, I do think melee weapons should be more common which in turn will enhance roleplay. It doesn't offer much roleplay when disputes end in gun fire so I would like to see much more knives etc being accessed as opposed to firearms. I don't really want to see chainsaws or katanas, but that's just me.

I think previous servers went wrong by putting the melee weapons in the hands of the gun distributors who then did nothing with it as the demand and profits for firearms are higher. We should look into separating firearms  and melee weapons completely so that melee weapons are more common, but we'd have to find the right way of doing this so that everyone doesn't just have a knife by default due to them being so easily accessible. 

I haven't put much thought into how we could do this, but an easy solution would be to put knives into 24/7 shops at a reasonable but high price, and have the knives disappear on log out.

• Like 1

Finch

Knives should be accessible from shops, as kitchen knives are used variably in knife crime. Not to mention smaller blades are free to purchase too.

Same goes for baseball bats and golf clubs. Both easily available realistically.

Montreal
2 hours ago, Lockhart said:

I agree, I do think melee weapons should be more common which in turn will enhance roleplay. It doesn't offer much roleplay when disputes end in gun fire so I would like to see much more knives etc being accessed as opposed to firearms. I don't really want to see chainsaws or katanas, but that's just me.

I think previous servers went wrong by putting the melee weapons in the hands of the gun distributors who then did nothing with it as the demand and profits for firearms are higher. We should look into separating firearms  and melee weapons completely so that melee weapons are more common, but we'd have to find the right way of doing this so that everyone doesn't just have a knife by default due to them being so easily accessible. 

I haven't put much thought into how we could do this, but an easy solution would be to put knives into 24/7 shops at a reasonable but high price, and have the knives disappear on log out.

Being able to get a knife from 24/7's has been tried in servers I've been in, while it didn't create chaos in the sense that everyone went around shanking people, it took away from some situations in the sense that everyone suddenly carried a knife and could defend themselves, kind of creating the all too familiar "everyone has a deagle" situation. I think more stealth weapons should be slightly less common because you don't want to run around with a bat all day so you'll have to go and get it from a trunk or something which would be more healthy for the game and roleplay. An option would be like to make shit like golf clubs, bats, hockey sticks, pool sticks widely available and keep knives, brass knuckles etc under some sort of control and among illegal factions mostly. They should definitely be more available than in LS-RP though, and much less costly. It'd be like if you can't afford a gun and need to off someone you can just get a knife for a few hundred or something.

I think pepper sprays and stun guns would be cool for self-defense. Pepper spray could be something like with 5 ammo so it runs out really fast and isn't overpowered script-wise (you can pretty much spam it and just stun 10 people at the same time which is ridiculous). And stun guns would need some scripting work though, but in the end, most of this shit could be roleplayed just as well.

Edited by Montreal

Templar
6 hours ago, Finch said:

Knives should be accessible from shops, as kitchen knives are used variably in knife crime. Not to mention smaller blades are free to purchase too.

Same goes for baseball bats and golf clubs. Both easily available realistically.

Yes, but in that case there should be a very high amount of playtime required to get one.

BYLUG

I definitely agree to encourage more melee combats in preference to gun fights. Obviously, this is more realistic and avoids every minor verbal attack between two or more parties conforming into a gun fight. However, I think knives shouldn't be too readily available because that will cause everyone to have a knife which shouldn't be the case in the game because it's overpowered (it's a one hit kill every time, not sure if this can be worked around or not). Bats, golf sticks, maybe even brass knuckles, should be easily available as they wouldn't cause too much displeasure to realistic role-play.  

I would love to see more melee fights rather than gun fights altogether. 

Edited by BYLUG
  • Like 2

Finch
8 hours ago, Templar said:

Yes, but in that case there should be a very high amount of playtime required to get one.

But if we compare to certain servers, you only needed Level 2 (8 hours playtime) to access guns. With that in mind, whatever play time is required on this server for guns, it should be the same or less for melee weapons.

I partly see the reason behind level restrictions, but it’d be nice to have them removed altogether. 

Montreal
5 hours ago, BYLUG said:

I definitely agree to encourage more melee combats in preference to gun fights. Obviously, this is more realistic and avoids every minor verbal attack between two or more parties conforming into a gun fight. However, I think knives shouldn't be too readily available because that will cause everyone to have a knife which shouldn't be the case in the game because it's overpowered (it's a one hit kill every time, not sure if this can be worked around or not). Bats, golf sticks, maybe even brass knuckles, should be easily available as they wouldn't cause too much displeasure to realistic role-play.  

I would love to see more melee fights rather than gun fights altogether. 

It's only a one hit kill if you use the right click+shift function from behind, if it's left clicking, it's not one hit kill. And it can be scripted differently as well, the function can be removed. I think that some melee weapons should have higher damage also. It would be cool to have a chance vs a gun at very close combat if the guy misses his first shot or something. But that's another thing, the entire system around combat. Again, something that can only be roleplayed, but if left unscripted will determine the outcome of a lot of situations that are left up to the game mechanics in the climax.

Neaksy

Knives should definitely be purchasable at normal prices from stores and supermarkets. If too many knife attacks take place, it could be resolved ICly through knife control legislation to require ID or harsher measures. People would instead use pepper spray, which is legal in the United States and carrying pepper spray is legal in San Francisco, it's an ideal defense weapon for women and civilians who wish to abide by the law but who aren't too sure about a gun—which is almost impossible to get in the region due to heavy gun control laws anyway. As for brass knuckles, I'd like to see them too.

If melee weapons really are a huge problem, for the argument's sake a lot of the killings would no longer take place if first-degree murder equals a life sentence in-game. But I'm almost certain that it won't be that bad, and it would very certainly remain an in-character issue.

• Like 1

Naybors
4 hours ago, Neaksy said:

Knives should definitely be purchasable at normal prices from stores and supermarkets. If too many knife attacks take place, it could be resolved ICly through knife control legislation to require ID or harsher measures. People would instead use pepper spray, which is legal in the United States and carrying pepper spray is legal in San Francisco, it's an ideal defense weapon for women and civilians who wish to abide by the law but who aren't too sure about a gun—which is almost impossible to get in the region due to heavy gun control laws anyway. As for brass knuckles, I'd like to see them too.

If melee weapons really are a huge problem, for the argument's sake a lot of the killings would no longer take place if first-degree murder equals a life sentence in-game. But I'm almost certain that it won't be that bad, and it would very certainly remain an in-character issue.

Support.

Blackburn

I agree with this, there should be a rule added to the penal code that forbbids people from carrying knives in public tho

Don Delgado

I am supporting this. We are roleplaying the current time so it should not be that easy to get a gun as a weapon. 

Zach
6 hours ago, Don Delgado said:

I am supporting this. We are roleplaying the current time so it should not be that easy to get a gun as a weapon. 

Guessing you're not from the US.

Edit: Idk, kind of conflicted on the whole knife thing.

Edited by Zach

Norse

Knives at stores is an over inflation, everyone will have one and it will be aids. Why not pump more knives into illegal factions and make them easier to come by than guns? = Cheaper price for knives and they exist but w/o trolls slitting your throat etc.

Edited by Norse

PurpleVase24
14 minutes ago, Norse said:

Knives at stores is an over inflation, everyone will have one and it will be aids. Why not pump more knives into illegal factions and make them easier to come by than guns? = Cheaper price for knives and they exist but w/o trolls slitting your throat etc.

But what's the real difference between having a knife role-play and script-wise? It's only the damage you do to your opponent. I just don't understand the debate about it. I also don't understand why people are voting against it. You can get a set of kitchen knives in almost every shop or purchase tactical knives online on websites by militaristic/law enforcement based companies. It's not a big deal.

Sign in to follow this