• Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Sign in to follow this  
Giga

Revamped Forum Structure

Giga

Revamped Forum Structure

Hello,

We are currently running a trial of the new forum structure after a long period of planning and discussion. This addresses the forum remap suggestion brought up in the Forum Suggestions board.

Here is the changelog of the revamped forum structure:
  • Renamed General Discussions & Support to Community Support & Development.
  • Renamed Community Member Profiles to simply Community Profiles.
  • Renamed Staff Member Profiles to Staff Profiles.
  • Renamed Environment to General IC Events and moved it to Region of Bay Area [IC] rather than the World Wide Web board.
  • Renamed Detailed Understanding to Feature Documentation.
  • Separated General Discussions, Community Profiles, Character Stories & Development, Screenshots & Videos, and the super secret donator board into its own category — Out of Character.
  • Transferred Bug Reports and Player Reports to Community Support & Development rather than having them as a sub-board within the defunct Reports & Complaints.
  • Removed Official Factions and Unofficial Factions boards and united them into one Factions board. All official faction threads will be pinned instead.
  • Transferred all government faction boards (City Government of San Fierro, San Fierro Police Department, San Fierro Fire Department, and San Andreas Department of Roads) into its own category — State of San Andreas [IC].
  • Created Government Publications which is the place where all government announcements will be posted. The Penal Code will also be published in its own sub-board.
  • Created Policy Suggestions as a sub-board under Suggestions where rule changes, for example, can be brought up.
  • Moved Other Games and Other Languages into Chit Chat (Off Topic) as a sub-board.
  • Removed Official Guides from Community Guides. All official guides will be pinned instead.
  • Removed the archives of Mapping Suggestions and Model Customization Suggestions.
  • Removed all sub-boards from the super secret donator board.

Of course, both amendments have its own advantages and disadvantages. The new structure looks more neat and organized, but resulted in a longer scroll of the board index. Do you think certain boards need to be moved around? Should we revert all amendments? Or should we keep the current hierarchy? For reference on the changes, see the spoiler below for the comparison table prior to the remap.

Spoiler
Image Image

We are looking for your opinions. Thank you for reading.

Giga
Bay Area Roleplay Administration

• Like 3

glockextendo

To be honest, I think It's way better now because the factions part for example is in one place so you can click and go back, it's also neat to have the pd and fd links there, The rest doesn't effect me that much, thanks for the change tho and all I gotta say that it's good! 

doggy bada$$

I like it more like this. Cleaner, more than anything, and the links to each of the departmental websites are really useful, too. Thanks for the clean-up.

Highwire

Everything makes a lot more sense now, great work. I personally think "Official Guides" should have remained separate from "Community Guides" to more effectively highlight the essential guides, and differentiate them from the tons of random community guides we will be receiving.

Giga
11 minutes ago, Highwire said:

I personally think "Official Guides" should have remained separate from "Community Guides" to more effectively highlight the essential guides, and differentiate them from the tons of random community guides we will be receiving.

All official guides will be pinned on the Community Guides board. To recap, pinned threads are always on top of the board. A pinned thread is also known as "Sticky" on phpBB's terms, if you are more familiar with that.

Take the Announcements & Information board for example. The staff roster and staff recruitment information are always on top over unpinned announcements. See the spoiler below for visual reference.

If the board starts to get cluttered with official guides (therefore pushing community-written guides to the second page), we will reconsider separating them as a sub-board. I hope this addresses your concern.

Spoiler

5jl2Ghj.png

Blackburn

I like it, it's much cleaner now

es.tv14^

Neat

Tommy

Much better.

Brand

Simple, I like it.

$CAR

Much better.

Slim

Pretty neat.

glass shatters

Great improvement, nicely done.

MONEY_MAKING_SCHEME

Looks good. I was thinking of one thing though, the "Community Support & Development [OOC]" section is a bit more important than the "Out of Character" one, so maybe it should be right bellow the "Bay Area Roleplay" section.

As for the other languages, will you guys be considering adding sub-forums for the most spoken foreign languages?

Halycen

Fabulous. 

frostyworks

nice