News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy

UCP Quiz & Application

Conspiracy

1.  Make it so that people aren't automatically denied permanently after failing the quiz or application and change the information provided in the introduction accordingly. If me, someone that has been roleplaying in SA-MP for more than 8 years, can get denied from the quiz 5 times in a row, then so can anyone else -- it wouldn't be fair for noobies to be automatically banned, let that be handled by staff on a case-by-case basis if someone is persistent enough, etc. As for the application itself, that shouldn't be an automatic ban on X amount of denies either -- mistakes happen, we're people, maybe someone forgot to include something, maybe a helper denied him by mistake, etc. No ban should be automatic except for the ones that are evaders and such. Remove the whole "You will only have a maximum of three chances to submit this application stage before you are permanently denied from submitting applications." ordeal. Apparently that was with the UCP layout, there was never an automatic ban system in place. It's fixed now.

2. The url for "forums" on the page introducing you to the quiz is wrong, turn it to https://forum.bayarearoleplay.com

3. Make it so that having 1 or 2 mistakes on the quiz is okay and won't get you automatically denied. No one's perfect, newcomers will eventually learn as they play.

4. People new to SA-MP roleplay don't know what /me and /do are. Remove questions pertaining to these from the quiz.

5. The "You need help, in which order should you approach finding the answer to your problem?" question is a little gimmicky. While it is true that the best course of action is "forum -> in-game /helpme -> /reporrt", we shouldn't give new players the impression that we're super strict about what you do and who you ask for help. If you need help, there's likely a reason -- maybe you're in the middle of an in-game situation and don't want to bother the admins, /helpme is the best choice in that case, not taking it to the forum. Remove the question. It's not like we can expect people to know the right answer anyway, the majority of our players are in their teens and not English native speakers. The staff team is there to support and give out help to whoever needs it, regardless of the communication channel -- sure, asking in /helpme before searching for an answer on the forum is meh, but it's not a big deal.

6. Remove the age limit altogether, and the question about it. There'll be a change in the rules regarding pedophilia so I think there's no need for age restrictions. Y'all gotta remember that a lot of people roleplay kids, and that's totally fine. Take for example the gangs, no one joins a gang at the age of 18, or even 16 -- most join as young as 12, and some gangs go as low as 8. Restricting roleplay isn't the right choice, especially when there's no benefit to restricting the age. Those who want to troll will troll regardless of what their IC age is. Roleplaying as a child is super fun, try it out, I've roleplayed as young as a 3 y/o (with a family and whatnot), it was the most awesome time I ever had.

7. The "Advertisements in-game are used for?" question is better off being removed. Add other questions, questions that newcomers can answer easily. Back in my previous server, I didn't know about /ad until like 2 years in. Plus, the answers to this question are too similar, and all three are technically correct.

8. The third answer to "What is the definition of roleplay?", i.e. "Creating your own adventure", is technically correct! Adventures are the best. Pick something else. :)

9. Remove the "Which of the following statements outlines the staff hierarchy accurately?" question -- not even staff members can get this right, let alone newcomers. We can't expect noobs to know or care about small things like these. Tomayto, tomahto, same shit, just because they don't know the staff ranks doesn't mean they aren't ready to play on the server. Plus, it's not like any of this information is explicitly written somewhere for them to read it, it's not in the rules and shouldn't be there anyway.

10. Remove the question "What is the punishment for advertising?". It's not clear enough -- is the question referring to IC advertisements or something else? The question doesn't give newcomers the right image anyway, it's as if we're scared from players leaving -- that's not true. It's not wrong to say that the punishment is at the handling admin's discretion anyway. You guys have to remember that there are different variations of server advertising -- there's a difference between someone who goes in-game and starts spamming the /pm's of others about his or her roleplay server, and someone who replies to a question such as "yo are there any good samp dm servers around?". Ultimately, every case is handled differently. I say you remove the question altogether -- if you're adamant on keeping it, at least reword it to "What is the punishment for advertising other servers?"

11. Reword or remove the "During this stage of the application process your spelling, grammar and English abilities will be judged." sentence from the application -- it gives the wrong impression that we're actually gonna judge and deny people depending on whether their grammar is good enough. That's not true. People should be accepted as long as they know the rules and can speak understandable English. There are no rules about the level of your English knowledge, and it'd be dumb to have any either way -- you can't regulate that sorta stuff. Newcomers just need to have understandable English, that's all. I don't like the we're/were/where question on the quiz either tbh but I can live with it.

12. Change the character limit for answers to the application, right now it's set to 255. I say you bring it down to, well, let's say 50. We can't expect complete noobs to know how to approach such situations correctly, most of them don't even have a clue what "roleplay" is. Whether your answers are small or long or whatever doesn't matter, all it matters is that for them to make sense, be written in English, and be in accordance to the server rules -- that's all.

Edited by Conspiracy
  • Like 3

JohnK

Massively support this.

west.

Support this.

Sparx

1. I agree. Repeat application resubmissions should not warrant a ban from applying. It'll only tempt people to create a new UCP account and try again. Instead, allow as many resubmissions as they want, however, issue bans based on malicious applications such as copied answers or repeat offenders that do not follow denial advice and just post to clog up the system.

3. Whilst I slightly agree, I think having a good percentage PassMark is needed for application answers simply to sieve out people that might spam answers or those who genuinely don't put in the effort to research core RP fundamentals. Whether that PassMark is 80 or 90 percent, still shows the user is capable of at least getting most answers right.

4. As mentioned previously, I think it's best to actually sieve out those who have no RP fundamentals at all. Although /me and /do are actual IG commands that wouldn't be recognised by outside roleplaying games / communities, I think a better suggestion to this number would be to reword the question and prompt something along the lines of "An emote is an action that your character displays and is expressed by using /me. Which of the following is a suitable emote...".

5. I somewhat agree too, two of the answers to that question pretty much present the same outcome in a realistic scenario. The question isn't really relevant to someone's knowledge of roleplay. It can be easily reworded to test someone's knowledge through a more out-of-the-box means.

6. I've never roleplayed anyone under 18 so I wouldn't have a strong opinion on what said RP is like. However, it is very realistic to have younger characters to expand the roleplay of factions etc. Some of the roleplay I have witnessed for those acting as a child is questionable but that shouldn't spoil it for the rest.

7,8,9&10. I think all of the application questions should simply revolve around the knowledge base of general roleplay and not any immediate server specifics. This allows room for people who haven't read up on server guides to smash through the application process with the knowledge they have already retained from other servers and games. It's also my opinion that we shouldn't just let people click and join regardless of their experience, so some testing on basic roleplaying terms that are universal to other games should be added instead of specific SAMP RP commands.

11. I think this should be totally down to the staff member reviewing the application and common sense should be used when marking an application for an English speaking server. The warning is a bit head on to those who might feel self-conscious about their English ability, especially if they have issues such as dyslexia, so toning it down to a simple reminder to maybe 'try your hardest with spelling and grammar effort' might ease the mind for those struggling. But forwarding from that,  it's not a huge deal in my mind.

12. Yet again another question to ask when you will definitely have people applying who don't feel confident in their writing ability. It's very common to have people that would rather write a to-the-point answer than splurt out an essay. But it's also common sense to the staff member reviewing the application to judge if any effort has actually been used. As mentioned in a few points above, I don't believe people should just be able to point and click to join the server.

Terry_Hizkia

support

Boss
Posted (edited)

This has already been discussed internally and few changes have already been made. No idea why you bumped an out-dated topic.

Edited by Boss