News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Rehasher

Server in real time or a custom time speed?

Server Time  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Real time or custom server time

Rehasher

This might seem like an odd suggestion but I've been thinking, isn't it annoying when you play on servers and you sometimes never see night time roleplay depending on your timezone and the servers timezone? My suggestion would be an enhanced time for the server

For example 1 minute irl = 20 minutes passed in-game, you would be able to see day/night roleplay more often and it could enhance character development due to ageing. 

• Like 3

crimeson

Imo 1 minute = 20 mins is a bit exaggerated, making it like 1 min = mins mins or smth would be fine

goldencandy610

real time would be nice. ☺

Edited by goldencandy610

Buck

I'm voting real time as a custom time might create a mess. Imagine you have an IC event to plan, getting the exact hour for it will be really awkward. Same goes for the date, it won't fit the real life one and it'll be difficult to make it out, like yeah, "I think we're like on the 30th of December my dude", "no dude, 30th just passed by in 100 minutes, it's 31st now".

• Like 3

Asylo

I enjoy real-time. It's gives a sense of immersion, so that weather isn't changing every 5 minutes, that's just odd..

• Like 1

JohnnyV

Find a good timezone that would apply to the most of your players if you decide to use real-time please. 

In some medium roleplay servers I rarely ever seen night and it was always daytime due to bad timezone!

vans

Real time I guess.

• Like 1

Neaksy

The problems I see with a custom time speed is that it would be more difficult to schedule meetings or roleplay, we'd have to calculate the time difference every time. A faster time speed would also make years go by much faster, to the point where in a few years time IRL, BA-RP could be in Year 2100. This would be a little problematic in terms of immersion, unless BA-RP begins its timeline for instance right after 1992, creating its own problems I've mentioned in another suggestion about a year difference.

I think the idea of a custom time speed would be interesting but to make it easier I think it should be left as is, synced to real time. In our daily roleplay it's not rare to mention current news, making time go faster would disconnect us from the outside world, giving us less roleplay opportunities. On a side note, I believe the time zone should be synced with that of real-life SF, California.

Edited by Neaksy
  • Like 3

Dend

Real time

Edited by Dend

heaveN

Real time, GMT plus one?

crimeson
3 minutes ago, heaveN said:

Real time, GMT plus one?

Yes, gmt plus one if its real time

Targus
23 minutes ago, Neaksy said:

The problems I see with a custom time speed is that it would be more difficult to schedule meetings or roleplay, we'd have to calculate the time difference every time. A faster time speed would also make years go by much faster, to the point where in a few years time IRL, BA-RP could be in Year 2100. This would be a little problematic in terms of immersion, unless BA-RP begins its timeline for instance right after 1992, creating its own problems I've mentioned in another suggestion about a year difference.

In addition to this, I also would like to point out that the server may have to introduce new features and perform important transitions at a rapid pace if a custom time were to be implemented that is faster in ratio to our real time. Users might not be able to cope up with the environment that changes at an uncommon pace. The server has a high chance of deviating from whatever original theme it might have had in the first place.

I also agree with the notion of setting the real time zone of the server at a more central location, somewhere in California or another location would do the trick.

Carmelo

I just want the server time matched with the western coast of the US. 

Akiba
1 hour ago, heaveN said:

Real time, GMT plus one?

If anything it should be GMT 0 to allow easy conversions around the world.

As for whether it should be custom or not, I did pitch the idea of having 12 hour days before. 6 hours of daytime, 6 hours of nighttime. That would allow everyone no matter their timezone the ability to roleplay during both times without having to get up at 4am or w/e. I already know that idea is going to go nowhere but I'm gonna vote for custom.

Marty
11 minutes ago, Akiba said:

If anything it should be GMT 0 to allow easy conversions around the world.

As for whether it should be custom or not, I did pitch the idea of having 12 hour days before. 6 hours of daytime, 6 hours of nighttime. That would allow everyone no matter their timezone the ability to roleplay during both times without having to get up at 4am or w/e. I already know that idea is going to go nowhere but I'm gonna vote for custom.

This, 12 hour days would be excellent as we would be able to easily experience night and day times. In regards to setting up events, you can always put in the time in GMT 0 under OOC brackets so there is no confusion.

Otherwise, if it's gonna be real time, then GMT 0, no question about it. Easiest time zone to convert to other and as I believe that majority of players will be Europeans, it just fits better.