thatoneiowan

Dynamic Message Signs

thatoneiowan    80
thatoneiowan

I think that at some point in time it would be cool to have dynamic message signs available for DOT to use/turn on in the event of roadwork, crashes, stalled vehicles, road closures, etc. I threw together a concept design so you can see what it would look like below but they probably need a little bit of work:

zxTYJrN.jpg

q3WdLfV.jpg

Ideally they would have two phases/messages in rotation, especially for the side mount (the second one that is mounted on the sign) so it can be "double phased" to read properly: ROADWORK, 2 MILES, AHEAD on phase 1, and LEFT, LANE, CLOSED on phase 2, for example. The overhead DMS have three lines of 18 characters each, and the side mounts have 3 lines of 8 characters each. I used the fixedsys font and centered it for the letters to align. I would be happy to place the boards around the map and send code if/when this is implemented.

I also had an idea where something similar to a side mount board would be attached to the utility trailer to be used as a portable dynamic message sign (PDMS) that can be taken where ever as needed. 

kks4E0m.jpg

Edit: I failed to initially state that these boards should have unique ID numbers so that they can be controlled remotely (at the garage, in a DOT truck, etc.). These could also be used for any OOC messages as needed.

Also, in the real world if the DOT is not aware of a specific event that PD is working, PD has to ask DOT to activate them if they want them on. But our DOT center is staffed 24/7 so maybe administration and or higher up PD could also have access to them? If that's what would work best I can write up a cheat sheet. 

• Like 4

Andrew Bones    59
Andrew Bones

Hell yeah

Edited by Andrew Bones

Crash    2
Crash

Oh hell yeah. This should definitely be added!

Rehasher    591
Rehasher

Seems like a nice idea, this will be added for your faction. Send me the objects with material text for the information boards.

• Like 2

thatoneiowan    80
thatoneiowan
2 hours ago, Rehasher said:

Seems like a nice idea, this will be added for your faction. Send me the objects with material text for the information boards.

Sent you a PM

• Like 1

goldencandy610    41
goldencandy610

This feature is going to be dope! Just like irl. cant wait to drive by in my vehicle and see the sign saying lane closed or road work ahead slow down or move over it's the law accident ahead etc. overall its going to be dope. i have never seen a server do this so it's going to be unique. hypeee :) the opportunitys with this are going to be endless like say it's foggy outside you could put on the sign Fog turn on you're  high beams or a vehicle fire ahead or let's say someone gets abducted you can place a amber alert by placing the vehicle model the number plate and by posting call SFPD if seen. Jeez im so pumped and hypeeed right now. :)

Edited by goldencandy610

Stephen_Plascencia    13
Stephen_Plascencia

Love this idea. +1

SCANDALOUZ    25
SCANDALOUZ

+1

Giga    369
Giga

Accepted.

• Like 1