Justitiae

Having three names IG alongside the generic forename_surname system

Justitiae

Can we have the ability to register with three names, for example: Jean-Jacques_Rousseau or Charles_de_Montesquieu?

Edited by Justitia
  • Like 2

thatoneiowan

I think technically speaking DeMontesquieu and Jean-Jacques would be one word but I guess I don't know, but that depends on how whoever wants to do it. But regardless I think it'd be nice to have, would support things like John Smith Jr., John Smith III, people who go by their middle name but want to be formal (K. John Casey, J. Keith Ellis), and the like. As long as we don't end up with really dumb stuff (John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt) I think it'd be pretty cool

EDIT: Nicknames. That's what I was forgetting. John "Jay" Smith, James "Brien" Wood, Owen "Big O" Doe, etc. 

Edited by thatoneiowan
  • Like 1

Justitiae
5 minutes ago, thatoneiowan said:

I think technically speaking DeMontesquieu and Jean-Jacques would be one word but I guess I don't know, but that depends on how whoever wants to do it. But regardless I think it'd be nice to have, would support things like John Smith Jr., John Smith III, people who go by their middle name but want to be formal (K. John Casey, J. Keith Ellis), and the like. As long as we don't end up with really dumb stuff (John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt) I think it'd be pretty cool

Yeah exactly, John Smith Jr. and John Smith III would be great!

Neaksy

Yes please. It would be great being able to apply suffixes like Sr, Jr, I, II, III etc. Not only that but also registering with double names, like Lee Ann or Jean-Francois. Or double surnames, like Shaun Wright-Phillips etc. I also believe that since names on top of people's heads correspond to the username minus the underscore (meaning that it isn't limited by SA-MP's username special character limits), it could be possible to script it so hyphens or dots at the end of Sr. or Jr. suffixes show. I've seen people have to use Jeanfrancois_Surname as their nickname, it doesn't look very good and limits the amount of names you can use.

Edited by Neaksy
  • Like 1

crimeson

Uhh, sure as long as people don't add stuff such as their moms name lmao, i've seen it before

Tommy ツ

I feel like this could be taken advantage of. Have to have a system in place for checking names for this to work.

Buck

I would say no, keep it fully IC and there's no need to have it in a name-tag.

goldencandy610

Nah i don't support this.

Marty

Honestly, it's not required as it can be roleplayed in the documents or just introduce yourself as that. It should be just first name and last name, that's it.

Otherwise, people are going to bring up the fact ''What if we have more names than just two?" and so on. Definitely not required.

• Like 1

Sparx

I think this is more of a cosmetic than something that would benefit roleplay purposes. So long as there isn't an issue having two capital letters in either the first name or last name field, you can easily fit [De/La/etc] within one of those fields. As for suffixes, they aren't really a necessity and you can easily roleplay it outside of the set name. It'll all get too confusing if this is allowed and people put in Phd, KBE, OBE et al just because it's a form of name suffix - I'll vote to keep it Firstname_Lastname.

Erty

Firstname_Lastname is much better than the three name idea, because it doesn't make much difference, if you got two or three names. Let's keep it basic and simple.

Justitiae
28 minutes ago, Sparx said:

I think this is more of a cosmetic than something that would benefit roleplay purposes. So long as there isn't an issue having two capital letters in either the first name or last name field, you can easily fit [De/La/etc] within one of those fields. As for suffixes, they aren't really a necessity and you can easily roleplay it outside of the set name. It'll all get too confusing if this is allowed and people put in Phd, KBE, OBE et al just because it's a form of name suffix - I'll vote to keep it Firstname_Lastname.

No one's going to put PHD, KBE or OBE in those fields, because firstly a three-name system would need to be regulated, and accepted by admins (if they sound stupid, they can deny it). Secondly, those are titles. We can easily have a system where any player that tries to register with three names will need to undergo an approval phase, just like PR-RP players had to wait for their quiz answers to be approved for them to play the server. I would not think that'd be hard to implement and it certainly would not be too much to ask.

Edited by Justitia

Algebra

I wouldn't support this, Just stick to the Firstname_Lastname format, proven to work over the years! 

• Like 1

Targus
On 1/28/2018 at 2:13 AM, Sparx said:

You don't make sense. If you are calling double-barrelled names/general designated surnames a cosmetic feature, then you might as well call the traditional Firstname_Lastname rule a cosmetic feature too. There are a plethora of other terms that can be used to call or define a person with, why stick with something as mundane as Firstname_Lastname? This format was standardized among most role play servers because of the influence initial/large RP servers had on small RP servers, and how owners/developers wanted to mimic or "borrow" certain ideas from these large servers because it was unique/logical to the theme that said servers were following. If we are going to replicate the standard real life name format in this server, then we should also take another step and allow name formats of different culture and region to be used as a player's character name in this server.

Ph.D/KBE/OBE/etc. are all post-nominal letters, and are not added into a player's surname because they weren't born with the titles that they would have received later on in their academic life. No one adds that into their surname. If players do something as stupid as this, they should take a few steps back and start getting involved with a different server.

I fully support this suggestion. There is no rule or cultural restriction that can stop players from having Firstname_De_la_Cruz except the inability of conservative players to adapt to change like some of the users in this thread. Apologies if this comment came of as offensive, but I am quite disappointed at some of the replies in this thread that are against this suggestion. If the community thinks that this feature can be abused, all character names can be checked along with the UCP character application, just like how LS:RP does it with their user applications.

Edited by Targus
Less PG-18
  • Like 2

Justitiae
7 hours ago, Targus said:

You don't make sense. If you are calling double-barrelled names/general designated surnames a cosmetic feature, then you might as well call the traditional Firstname_Lastname rule a cosmetic feature too. There are a plethora of other terms that can be used to call or define a person with, why stick with something as mundane as Firstname_Lastname? This format was standardized among most role play servers because of the influence initial/large RP servers had on small RP servers, and how owners/developers wanted to mimic or "borrow" certain ideas from these large servers because it was unique/logical to the theme that said servers were following. If we are going to replicate the standard real life name format in this server, then we should also take another step and allow name formats of different culture and region to be used as a player's character name in this server.

Ph.D/KBE/OBE/etc. are all post-nominal letters, and are not added into a player's surname because they weren't born with the titles that they would have received later on in their academic life. No one adds that into their surname. If players do something as stupid as this, they should take a few steps back and start getting involved with a different server.

I fully support this suggestion. There is no rule or cultural restriction that can stop players from having Firstname_De_la_Cruz except the inability of conservative players to adapt to change like some of the users in this thread. Apologies if this comment came of as offensive, but I am quite disappointed at some of the replies in this thread that are against this suggestion. If the community thinks that this feature can be abused, all character names can be checked along with the UCP character application, just like how LS:RP does it with their user applications.

Really couldn't have said it better myself.