News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Sign in to follow this  
Mopey

Scamming and robbing regulations?

Mopey

Too early to talk specifics, but what will they be like? 

Particularly, will they be present? 

matronex

I think it really depends on how realistic the economy system will be.

Conspiracy

Well, as the current rules explain, they haven't been decided upon yet.

• Like 1

Gary

I just hope it'll be clear about it's level requirements so things like: "He is my friend, but he wasn't involved in the situation!" don't happen.

Nasty
3 hours ago, matronex said:

I think it really depends on how realistic the economy system will be.

as broski said here. depends on how realistic the economy is. But I think the rob/scam limit should be quite high to encourage people to put their money away into banks or w/e instead of having people walk around with Million's on them. 

matronex
1 minute ago, Nasty said:

as broski said here. depends on how realistic the economy is. But I think the rob/scam limit should be quite high to encourage people to put their money away into banks or w/e instead of having people walk around with Million's on them. 

With that I will agree on. that should be a thing 

Neaksy

Yea it depends. Ideally I'd like to see a credit card/check/ATM system so we wouldn't need a robbery limit, you'd place all your cash in the bank and only withdraw cash when you need to pay in cash, otherwise you'd use a credit card to pay for most things. If you want to buy a vehicle or a property you could obtain and give a banker's draft and give it to the seller.

Simeon
17 minutes ago, Neaksy said:

Ideally I'd like to see a credit card/check/ATM system so we wouldn't need a robbery limit, you'd place all your cash in the bank and only withdraw cash when you need to pay in cash, otherwise you'd use a credit card to pay for most things.

With no robbery limits, criminal characters will point a gun at you and drive you to a nearby ATM, or better yet just stick you up at an ATM and get you to withdraw money for them. Or steal the card and get the code from you and make you pay them after they RP withdrawing money. And with no limits they'll go for as much money as they can get obviously. Not having the cash on you won't stop them.

• Like 2

Neaksy
6 minutes ago, Simeon said:

With no robbery limits, criminal characters will point a gun at you and drive you to a nearby ATM, or better yet just stick you up at an ATM and get you to withdraw money for them. Or steal the card and get the code from you and make you pay them after they RP withdrawing money. And with no limits they'll go for as much money as they can get obviously. Not having the cash on you won't stop them.

Most ATMs have withdrawal limits, many of them are usually at $500 (sometimes $1,000 or $2,000) which is the same as LSRP's robbing rules are, so this would actually not be a problem. As for getting your credit card stolen, immediately after being stolen your credit card you can report it to the bank. There can be an exception that people stealing your credit card can only use up to $500 too before the credit card is blocked automatically.

Bospy
Posted (edited)

There needs to be a hard limit or everyone and their mother will rob. Speaking as someone who did a ton of roleplay in a very isolated area (Las Colinas) of the map, you were lucky to escape being robbed only once daily. I couldn't imagine roleplaying a faction in Fort Carson or Blueberry. Often times, it was two to three times a day. No regulations for robbery makes people rob rather than do any actual script work or legal work. What's stopping someone from making an alternative character who just runs around with a Glock and robs 8 people an hour? Then, when he's satisfied with his licks, he'll just namechange.

Realism doesn't always equate to fun.

Edited by Bospy
  • Like 1

King Enemy

Robbery limit should be $500. Just my opinion. 

Felos
Posted (edited)

I honestly feel like there should not be a robbing limit.

People shouldn't be carrying 1.000.000 dollars cash but rather use transactions on the bank and cheques.

But we need a way to avoid ''driving to ATM and withdrawing cash'' situations. Could be by having people get a ''max withdraw'' of 2.500 of something. That is basically a scripted ''max robbing amount'' + the cash on hand. People carrying a million on hand at all times should be robbed honestly. And them telling you to drive to a bank to withdraw money would be unrealistic as hell since banks are pretty much swarmed with PD in a few minutes and it's pretty safe inside.

Edited by Samuel_Tsai

Simeon
3 hours ago, Neaksy said:

Most ATMs have withdrawal limits, many of them are usually at $500 (sometimes $1,000 or $2,000) which is the same as LSRP's robbing rules are, so this would actually not be a problem. As for getting your credit card stolen, immediately after being stolen your credit card you can report it to the bank. There can be an exception that people stealing your credit card can only use up to $500 too before the credit card is blocked automatically.

If the economy is fucked up like on other servers, a $500 daily limit would make the ATM script useless - that amount of money won't help the cardholders at all and they'll have to go to a bank. If the economy is more normal, $500 (+ what you have on you) would be a big catch, not to mention $2000, and everyone on the server would be pulling robberies like that. Yeah you can cancel the card RPly, but by the time you do it they would've withdrawn money from it, my point was they won't even have to hold you at gunpoint at an ATM and it can be even easier than that. The server would be a robbery central with no robbing limits/rules. I'm already picturing several scenarios ending in emptying someone's entire bank account.

There would be no incentive for criminal players not to rob whenever they're out of other role play ideas. Everyone on the server would start complaining on the forum about being robbed multiple times a day. If there aren't money limits, in the end the server would be forced to implement rules like "you're allowed to only rob once a day" which in my opinion is more limiting than a rule about a money limit.

tw1ster

Obviously not everyone is going to be able to realistically say they are carrying the amount of cash they have on character, ICly. But what if we go under the assumption that a large portion of the amount of money they're carrying is on a debit/credit card, (which can be used at any ATM.) then we make these "card's" account bound and make them some type of object you can give to other players / they could take in a robbery. Then, we limit these credit-cards to a respectable $500 withdrawal limit from an ATM (realistic in the sense to prevent fraud, etc.) which a robber can cash out where ever they choose.

I don't think we need to bother giving the victim the ability to report it to the bank, if you get hit for your credit card and a player is able to forcefully take it from you or have you hand it over, you have to accept the loss there. It would be safe to assume that the criminal cashed out before you went through the deactivation process. On the other hand, I think it's a pipe dream to effectively make money off of robberies (unless you spam them). I think a healthy limit is in the lightly-harsh region of $500.

Just a thought.

EDIT: Also, this could add layer of robbery role-play. You could potentially get caught with someone else's credit/debit card on you which is another risk in the scheme of things. You could also have some sort of pick-pocketing element that has actual bearing, identification purposes(stealing wallets), etc etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Neaksy
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Simeon said:

If the economy is fucked up like on other servers, a $500 daily limit would make the ATM script useless - that amount of money won't help the cardholders at all and they'll have to go to a bank. If the economy is more normal, $500 (+ what you have on you) would be a big catch, not to mention $2000, and everyone on the server would be pulling robberies like that. Yeah you can cancel the card RPly, but by the time you do it they would've withdrawn money from it, my point was they won't even have to hold you at gunpoint at an ATM and it can be even easier than that. The server would be a robbery central with no robbing limits/rules. I'm already picturing several scenarios ending in emptying someone's entire bank account.

There would be no incentive for criminal players not to rob whenever they're out of other role play ideas. Everyone on the server would start complaining on the forum about being robbed multiple times a day. If there aren't money limits, in the end the server would be forced to implement rules like "you're allowed to only rob once a day" which in my opinion is more limiting than a rule about a money limit.

I have hopes that the economy will not be fucked up like other servers. Robbing people wouldn't be profitable if you can only withdraw $500 before a stolen credit card is locked (given the thief even knows the code). 

I stand by the idea that even though I wouldn't be completely opposed to a robbing limit, people should have the incentive to keep their money in the bank (or in a personal safe) and not on themselves where they would get it stolen.

My main problem with a cash robbery limit is that we treat money as different than other goods. If the person you're robbing has a gun on themselves you're able to steal it from them even if it's worth $50,000 on LSRP, and yet you can only steal $500 in cash. You can steal all the drugs that a person has on them, which can be worth thousands in total. You can even steal somebody's $13,000 watch if they wear it. Hypothetically you could steal a hundred of thousands worth of goods out of somebody if they happened to have most of the aforementioned on them. But cash is different?

Don't want to have your gun/drugs stolen? Don't carry them with you. Same for cash.

Edited by Neaksy
  • Like 2