• Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Sign in to follow this  
BurgundySuit

Phone Numbers

BurgundySuit
Posted (edited)

Basically phone numbers IG should be based on San Francisco area codes. There are four area codes based in San Francisco; 415, 650, 510, 408. Examples: 415-183-4302 | 415-536-1528 | 510-283-9362 | 510-734-6182 | 650-772-1845 | 650-826-6172 | 408-726-1832 | 408-836-3749. Numbers after the area code can be randomly generated as a player buys a phone. Donators can have a custom numbers after the area code. Should add a little bit of realism, instead of having numbers like; 8419326, 4725301, 5826742.

Edited by BurgundySuit
  • Like 1

Simeon

Why San Diego?

• Like 1

Curtis

no

Neaksy
Posted (edited)

Why San Diego? The server will be set in San Fierro, the fictional equivalent of real-life San Francisco. I do agree with your reasoning though, assigned phone numbers should be formatted realistically, with the corresponding area code in it.

From my understanding, the area code for real-life Bay Area (SF and other counties) used to be 415 but has changed to 628 a few years ago.

Generally, area code 555 is used in North American fiction to prevent phone numbers featured in TV shows and movies redirecting to real people. I think we could use 555 as precaution.

Edited by Neaksy
  • Thanks 1

BurgundySuit

Got the two cities mixed up, fuck.

14 hours ago, Simeon said:

Why San Diego?

Fixed it, realized I got mixed up between the two cities.

13 hours ago, Neaksy said:

Why San Diego? The server will be set in San Fierro, the fictional equivalent of real-life San Francisco. I do agree with your reasoning though, assigned phone numbers should be formatted realistically, with the corresponding area code in it.

From my understanding, the area code for real-life Bay Area (SF and other counties) used to be 415 but has changed to 628 a few years ago.

Generally, area code 555 is used in North American fiction to prevent phone numbers featured in TV shows and movies redirecting to real people. I think we could use 555 as precaution.

Fixed it, realized I got mixed up between the two cities. And the 555 idea is A pretty decent idea.

Dalek
Posted (edited)

Four digits would be a good set of numbers, up until 10k accounts hit (which is really unlikely). But to be honest, I'd rather it be by ID, so '/txt 54 Hey, where you at?' Of course, this could be an issue if someone has DC'd but realistically I'm not going to remember or write down anyone's phone number.

Edited by Dalek

Akeeb
45 minutes ago, Dalek said:

Four digits would be a good set of numbers, up until 10k accounts hit (which is really unlikely). But to be honest, I'd rather it be by ID, so '/txt 54 Hey, where you at?' Of course, this could be an issue if someone has DC'd but realistically I'm not going to remember or write down anyone's phone number.

That's metagaming.

BurgundySuit
2 hours ago, Dalek said:

I don't really know about this suggestion, sounds like it could be for an RPG server or something.

Mica

This would be alright if there isn't limited space for contacts that you can save on your phone. I'm not going to write every number down that someone gives me IC.

Dalek
3 hours ago, Akeeb said:

That's metagaming.

I know. After you IC'ly exchange 'numbers' (or fake ones) you would then be able to do it.

Although I'd much rather go with the four digit option with a name that you can store on your phone (as Mica suggested) to add more immersiveness and realism.

Simeon

415 would be a good area code for SF. Based on the real one. It's an iconic area code. It won't be used only for phone purposes, but it'll also be a number which gang factions can represent with, or get as a tattoo, or have on clothing, or even incorporate into their name (like the 415 KUMI in real life). I think one area code for the city would be enough and Flint County and Bayside can have a different one.

tw1ster

I think it's safe to assume, considering we're all living in the same city, there would be no need to dial the area code for the phone we're calling because it was "activated" in the same geographical location. The only way that'd be plausible would be to the city down by districts, like how SF has the financial district, etc.. but that'd stray a little.

• Like 1

Micha_Kat
23 hours ago, Neaksy said:

The 555 area code is a good idea, and would be best in my opinion. 

Clout

Already happening:

Phone Numbers:

Each player will receive a 7 digit phone number, not including their area code. Numbers will also use area codes. Area codes will be assigned to players based on the area they purchase their cellphone from OR the area where their house is located in. Players can be called and texted with or without the area code. For example, "/call 651-001-1921" or, "/call 001-1921".  

Source: https://forum.bayarearoleplay.com/topic/1260-phone-system/

IMO, the area codes should be based off IRL San Francisco and SF County.

Also, if number changes are to ever be a thing, the numbers should be restricted to seven digits.

Guest kane

This is already a feature. 

Sign in to follow this