Jump to content
News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Nasty

Probation Scheme

Recommended Posts

Nasty

Do you guys think there should be a probation scheme for banned players? For example like the one that was on LS;RP where a player would have to spend a lot of time on the forums helping out others in the Q&A section, and once they are deemed suitable they're allowed to play for about 1-2 hours a day with limited access to server features until the person is deemed liable for an unban and are once again able to roam freely. Personally I think this is a great idea as it not only gives everyone a chance they do some good for the community whilst they're at it and can help people actually reform and take the server more seriously. Also I feel that this method will pretty much have a 100% success rate as who would spend 6 months on the probation scheme JUST to come back and mass DM. It's also a good deterrent from rule breaking etc. What are your guys' thoughts on this and should a system like this be implemented and how harsh should it be? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McFellow

You've got my Support, this will make rulebreakers think twice before breaking them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asylo
Posted (edited)

-1

 

No, probation is un-needed. It's just a game, let players serve their time & allow them to play again, if caught doing the same offense twice, perma-ban.

 

We shouldn't have to spend 6 months out of our IRL lives just to get back on a server. LS-RP manager Surreal actually opposed it, probably primarily due to the fact that they were kinda going desperate for players to return. Meanwhile, a small percentage of players who had to go through probation actually finished it.

 

I know that seems unfair to the people who legitimately RP and don't want to be interfered by a DMer, or a hacker or something, but you'd agree with me when you accidentally get accused of hacking and have to spend time + having to go through probation just because you accidentally went IG with S0BEIT or something... 

 

Accidents happen, that's why we should all have a 2nd chance.

Edited by Asylo
Adding more info as to why I disagree.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matronex

I disagree. 
let people serve there time hoping they aren't gonna do it again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nasty
29 minutes ago, Asylo said:

-1

 

No, probation is un-needed. It's just a game, let players serve their time & allow them to play again, if caught doing the same offense twice, perma-ban.

 

We shouldn't have to spend 6 months out of our IRL lives just to get back on a server. LS-RP manager Surreal actually opposed it, probably primarily due to the fact that they were kinda going desperate for players to return. Meanwhile, a small percentage of players who had to go through probation actually finished it.

 

I know that seems unfair to the people who legitimately RP and don't want to be interfered by a DMer, or a hacker or something, but you'd agree with me when you accidentally get accused of hacking and have to spend time + having to go through probation just because you accidentally went IG with S0BEIT or something... 

 

Accidents happen, that's why we should all have a 2nd chance.

6 months of probation is just an example for someone such as a hacker. Regular probation schemes would of course be done more fairly and over a shorter period of time such as doing 3 weeks of probation before being allowed in-game for a 4 month ban or something. I think this can be really beneficial and of course opional. So its only done if a player wishes to do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palamara

Yeh sure. It would help out many people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asylo
19 minutes ago, Nasty said:

6 months of probation is just an example for someone such as a hacker. Regular probation schemes would of course be done more fairly and over a shorter period of time such as doing 3 weeks of probation before being allowed in-game for a 4 month ban or something. I think this can be really beneficial and of course opional. So its only done if a player wishes to do it. 

 

A hacker wouldn't return if they hacked in the first place.

 

& if they do, there's a good chance they actually enjoy the server, so they'll refrain from hacking the next time they're allowed access into the server. 

 

but of course, if they hacked the first time to ruin people's experiences, and came back just to do the same, then they'll face a permanent ban.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nasty
5 minutes ago, Asylo said:

 

A hacker wouldn't return if they hacked in the first place.

 

& if they do, there's a good chance they actually enjoy the server, so they'll refrain from hacking the next time they're allowed access into the server. 

 

but of course, if they hacked the first time to ruin people's experiences, and came back just to do the same, then they'll face a permanent ban.

Not always the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asylo
54 minutes ago, Nasty said:

Not always the case. 

That covers every aspect...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nasty
3 hours ago, Asylo said:

That covers every aspect...

No be cause I know people who've hacked and left, and I know people who've hacked, came back and hacked more just more discreetly, and also hacking isn't the only bannable offence. If someone has a 2 month ban but they're desperate to get back since they didn't want to get banned they'll probably want to go through the probation scheme. If someone get's banned and doesn't have too much time or care they'll simply wait it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lordt

Fuck no. It'll just drive away players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Highwire

In my previous experience, it's always more efficient to leave it up to the banning administrator. If someone doesn't seem fit for the server, tell them to reappeal in 6 months. A probation system forces the staff to work much harder than they need to, monitoring players who do nothing but spam the forums with the same useless posts trying to appear helpful, when the majority of them don't give a shit. It is a good option for players who have an extensive history of screwing up, such as ban evaders or hackers to prove themselves, but if they truly wanted to show they've changed, they would do so without being forced to by a probationary system.

Also, on a couple of previous servers with similar systems in place, I have seen MANY players return and end up getting banned again, resulting in a waste of time for all parties involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JiggyRican
On 1/7/2018 at 6:48 AM, McFellow said:

You've got my Support, this will make rulebreakers think twice before breaking them.

No it wont... Cause this gives them a chance back in.... this is not needed at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Algebra

It was never successful in my opinion (speaking from experience). It just gives the admins an unnecessary headache because we kept adding a lot of people to the probation scheme yet only 20% of them completely properly, while the rest evade during their probation period.  Do you break the rules? You serve your time being banned. There are a lot of helpers to take care of the work that a guy in probation would do. No from my side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100Bucks

In my opinion i'd disagree because the probation scheme is just useless and if people are going to go through the system of serving probation and being active on forums for their eligibility to be back on the server, it's a bit too harsh and if someone gets banned a day after the server launches for a reason of 'Hacking' then i believe the player should receive a second chance or a temporarily ban for a minimum of a week. Its just that the probation scheme is too difficult to go through and there is no point of copying the LS-RP Previous Probation Scheme cause it's going to make us guys look like a weak server for getting parts of the ideas from that server. Well that's my thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×