News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Clout

Where is San Andreas?

Clout

Ima open up a lil' debate and see if we can possibly get an official answer by the management on where exactly would San Andreas be in-character wise?

I personally role play it as an island a few hundred miles off the west coast of the USA.

On an unrelated note that is somewhat related, since the rest of the map will be closed on the server, what would be the IC reason for that?

Giga

This kind of debate always get heated for some reason. The setting of the game itself is based on three cities from two US states - California and Nevada. San Fierro in particular is based on San Francisco, California. The entire setting, however, is fictionalized for game's sake to avoid such actual representation of various events.

In game's theory, San Andreas is considered as a state within the United States, and the entire map (Los Santos, San Fierro, Las Venturas, Red County, Bone County, Flint County) are all part of the State of San Andreas. However, various roleplay communities are putting it in various locations (island, separate country) for whatever reason they think it is. Communities are free to make their own conceptualization of the map, but at the end of the day, the way the game developers (Rockstar North) conceptualized the map is that it is its own state within the United States.

• Like 3

thatoneiowan
4 hours ago, CloutToken said:

On an unrelated note that is somewhat related, since the rest of the map will be closed on the server, what would be the IC reason for that?

I can't answer this officially but my ideas to answer this have been purely infrastructure-related... Good ol' fashioned bridge construction. Maybe an earthquake crumbled the one in Flint County near The Panopticon, the one near the single player RS Haul is simply too old and deemed structurally unsafe. As for the Flint Range / Los Santos bridge, given that it reduces from four lanes to two on the bridge rather than before or after it, it could be a serious traffic hazard and needs to be replaced for safety. 

As for the Bayside area the only thing I have come up with is either is some sort of rock fall/mud slide or the tunnel(s) has/have collapsed.

-

I never really considered the state of San Andreas to be a separate island. Interesting thought. Definitely on the west coast, but I just kind of assumed it to be connected to the mainland. 

tw1ster

San Andreas, to me, should just be San Andreas. We're playing a video game and role-playing on a fictional map. Associating San Andreas with any real life country/city/etc serves no purpose, considering you can't ever leave.

Lockhart

San Andreas is the ninth planet. Duhh.

Aizec

I always thought of San Andreas as (GTA's) California, just like Liberty City would be New york.

Fabian

The best way for us to exist is to be a replacement for California, in the West Coast of the United States of America. It's not hard at all to not roleplay the existence of California or any other part of the US West Coast. Additionally, this being an island is incredibly dumb for me, we should roleplay it as a continental side without looking at the map for everything, it's a roleplay server so we should use our imagination to create proper lore.

On 10/24/2017 at 7:30 AM, Giga said:

However, various roleplay communities are putting it in various locations (island, separate country) for whatever reason they think it is

I say let's make the sane decision and stick with the Grant Theft Auto 3D Universe's lore and replace the main points of interest with what actually happens it it, such as the other cities like Liberty City and Vice City. Despite being blocked out we should roleplay the other cities as well and impose a realistic distance between them, ICly for example, the distance between LS and SF should be of around 4 hours, we shouldn't limit ourselves to the "island" theory.

• Like 1

josef

I tend to just associate LS with Los Angeles, SF with San Francisco and LV with Las Vegas. 

Silent Gabagool
Just now, Fabian said:

The best way for us to exist is to be a replacement for California, in the West Coast of the United States of America. It's not hard at all to not roleplay the existence of California or any other part of the US West Coast. Additionally, this being an island is incredibly dumb for me, we should roleplay it as a continental side without looking at the map for everything, it's a roleplay server so we should use our imagination to create proper lore.

I say let's make the sane decision and stick with the Grant Theft Auto 3D Universe's lore and replace the main points of interest with what actually happens it it, such as the other cities like Liberty City and Vice City. Despite being blocked out we should roleplay the other cities as well and impose a realistic distance between them, ICly for example, the distance between LS and SF should be of around 4 hours, we shouldn't limit ourselves to the "island" theory.

I agree with this pretty much. Don't see why this wouldn't work and it's pretty standard for the lore. Doesn't cause problems either. 

robistnt

The answer to your question is as simple as this -

uKgxiGlCSqCPV8a5m7g0GA.png

(the blue shit is water and map is very aproximate)

Edited by robistnt

TeodoraMk

I think it's simply in San Andreas which is it's own state and it's an island I suppose.

phencyclidine father

LS = Los Angeles

SF = San Francisco 

LV = Las Vegas

happy new year!!!!

• Thanks 1

Conspiracy

The State of San Andreas is a fictional state in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. It is mostly based on California and Nevada (only having the city Las Venturas based on Las Vegas and the surrounding desert region) while there are other notable areas and landmarks nodding to areas of Arizona (mainly the desert and forest areas).

Straight out of GTA:SA wiki. San Andreas is a fictional state, nothing more and nothing less. Searching for any more details is just pointless. It's not Atlantis lmao.

crazy white girl

For roleplaying sake, San Andreas is California. Los Santos is Los Angeles, and San Fierro is San Francisco.  

No other cities in the GTA universe exist. You have New York City, Miami, and I guess Detroit or whatever city Carcer represents.

SCANDALOUZ
7 minutes ago, crazy white girl said:

For roleplaying sake, San Andreas is California. Los Santos is Los Angeles, and San Fierro is San Francisco.  

If that was the case when it comes to in character, then the "SFPD" would be San Francisco PD not San Fierro PD. So, that is, obviously, not the case. I don't think that there is an official statement or lore if you will about SA/SF here at BA-RP yet, but a bold guess is that it will most likely be considered just another state of the US and geographically be an island (obviously) somewhere around.

Edited by SCANDALOUZ