News Ticker
  • Developer applications are still open
  • Helper applications are still open
  • ba-rp.net:7777
Whiskey

Illegal Gunmaking System

Whiskey

Anyway, Rehasher had an online-based (dark-web) method of obtaining guns illegally, but it doesn't necessarily make illegal factions unique and even if it was faction restricted, there wouldn't be much effort involved for factions and I just can't imagine mobsters etc shopping online for guns XD

I want to suggest to include another system, alongside the above maybe; business fronts and it will be restricted for illegal factions.

How will it work?

Basically all you require is a faction, a business (owned by any faction member) and a little work.

- After you've obtained a business, you can then set it the business to produce firearms, illegally.

- Once you've set this, you are now required to gather the setup essentials which must be regulated often.

- After you have delivered the setup, you will now be depending on unassociated truckers (legal) to restock your business.

Further explanation:

I haven't figured out what the "essentials" will be; however, it will be necessary so truckers aren't caught up in it and the faction will have to do some work themselves etc. 

The "essentials" would be items you must pick up (purchase) from Flint County(?) and deliver back to the business undetected. The item(s) should be flexible, meaning you can use any vehicle (include sea and air) to deliver it. Maybe the minimum amount of items you can purchase is 3, which will then require 3 faction members to execute.

You can order/purchase the items inside the business (must be high rank, regardless of business ownership) and it will send you a location on your radar to collect. Absolutely no refunds, once purchased inside the business, it's on you to deliver. The "pick-up zone" should be completely random and changed by script often so players can't learn the patterns and camp the zones to fight other factions etc.

Every 3 guns crafted equals 1 item/essential. If you have 3 items/essentials, you can craft 9 guns and then you have purchase and deliver more items/essentials.

Once you have all the above setup, you will now require haulers to restock your business, legally. The stock will obviously drain a lot quicker and need to be restocked regularly. You can change the percentage of stock used towards producing guns. If you use a high percentage, your stock will drain faster but it will craft guns faster also. 

However, if your legal stock isn't regulated, it will obviously send some signals to players that something is going on in the business (either the stock is legitimately being drained by players, which is unlikely or the business it used to craft guns).

ALSO: Maybe there could be an upgrade system for these fronts. You can purchase upgrades to prevent disasters (such as fires occurring inside) ????

TLDR:

- You set (any of) your faction-business to produce guns.

- You order/purchase items (requires 3 players), collect and then deliver them to the business.

- Legal stock obtained by haulers/truckers is also required to start production. 

Items and Legal Stock MUST be regulated.

Edited by Whiskey
  • Like 1

Whiskey

I haven't given this much thought so your opinions/suggestions matter.

Wee Man

Very nice idea eh.

• Thanks 1

Whiskey

Ano, mad to believe it sprouted from your head 

Wee Man

I know, thanks for the credit.

Sombra

Yes. I like the idea of buying guns on the dark web, but as you said, it would make more sense to have an additional feature. 

Perhaps we could obtain warehouses (businesses and decommissioned businesses) where we can manufacturer illegal firearms, provided there's enough suitable parts and money to realistically do so. 

Davis

I appreciate your effort to try and come up with something that works but I don't think this is the solution. So far, based on every server I've ever played I think official factions obtaining weapons and drug factories seems to work best. Simply because the faction can make up it's own role-play around how they obtained the guns and I think trying to over complicate the system of drugs and guns will just add more issues than is needed. 

I also think the Dark Web thing is completely unrealistic in the sense that my 50 year old mobster would have no idea how to work the Dark Web. I also think it's rather stupid to have a bunch of gangbangers and mobsters ordering illegal guns off the internet. Guns are smuggled in or stolen, no matter where you live in the world. Most of the time the government has a very good lock on the blueprints for weapons and it wouldn't be possible to just manufacture working pistols and AK-47's. You'd need machinists and engineers to come up with proper measurements and tests, which is why I find it very unrealistic all together.

Just my personal opinion.

Sombra

Why would a 50 year old not know how to use the dark web? It's that kind of stereotyping that ruins roleplay - suddenly every person who's over the age of 30 is useless with anything technical. Perhaps buying in bulk isn't realistic, I don't dispute that, but people get away with purchasing one or two every day. Yes, people do get caught, but there's people who don't, too. 

tw1ster

Yeah it looks like you nipped the dark-web idea. It just doesn't make sense for gangsters and mobsters to navigate to the "dark web" to purchase guns. I don't think that's feasible. Davis covered this.

If you tie truckers in, I think it would be very easy for cops to find where the guns come from. All they'd have to do is follow truckers and use the process of elimination to find the honey stash. It would also be increasingly obvious at the inception of the server too, because there probably aren't going to be very many player owned businesses or factions.

The Flint idea is a kick-starter but there needs to be a few caveats. I think if you're using your pick up zone idea, you need to have different ones for different factions. It would be too blatant if you had a congregation of mix-raced criminals in one random spot in Flint County. Police would then have to do specific investigations on certain individuals who travel for these weapons instead of staking out a deserted town where they saw six mix-race criminals huddled.

It's really, really tricky. You have to make a system surreptitious enough for criminals to use them but you also have to make it plausible for police to find the location after detective work.

Another thing, weapons are going to have to be regulated by administration. It's too much of a responsibility to let players make as many weapons as they want. Players will hoard them and fuck a market up real, real fast. A healthy struggle to obtain weapons would be high up on my list.

Edited by tw1ster

Whiskey
2 hours ago, tw1ster said:

If you tie truckers in, I think it would be very easy for cops to find where the guns come from. All they'd have to do is follow truckers and use the process of elimination to find the honey stash. It would also be increasingly obvious at the inception of the server too, because there probably aren't going to be very many player owned businesses or factions.

I suggested this assuming truckers will be the source of stock for all legal businesses. Truckers won't necessarily be involved (intentionally); just like a cargo ship carrying a container of cocaine to the states isn't intentionally involved in drug trafficking. It's just another ingredient you will require to keep your business afloat and the gun making process continuous.

> Business (LEGAL)

> Obtain setup: You will have to pay one-time fee of X amount, then go collect machines(?) to turn metal(?) into guns. (ILLEGAL)

> Obtain stock: Truckers will deliver, stock keeps the legal side of your business running, whatever items your business markets. (LEGAL)

> Obtain other items: Possibly metal bars or something, this item must be regulated like legal stock.  (ILLEGAL)

LEOs following truckers will be absolutely pointless as they could be going to any business and all they are literally doing is restocking legal goods, it might not feel "required" in the gunmaking process but it would just be another obstacle for gunmaking. 

Collecting the (ILLEGAL) items will be a risk for gunmakers, if pulled over or checked at boarders etc. They'll have to be professional about it. Which is why I suggested it to be flexible; meaning you can use literally any vehicle (except for collecting setup, it should be a van/heavy vehicle) to deliver it all back to your business. You can use a car to move the items to the coast then move the items into SF via said boat then switch to a car again etc. Or helicopter if you're a highroller.

PD will probably host border checks for traffickers, those who cannot afford to do it professionally will probably have a hard time doing it. 

Pickup zones could probably be anywhere isolated. Flint, Tierra, Bone ETC

But as I said and I cannot stress this enough; the zones need to be completely random /coords set by the devs and then changed regularly to prevent any locations becoming known. Every month or so, an admin can find new /coords and upload to GM.

2 hours ago, tw1ster said:

The Flint idea is a kick-starter but there needs to be a few caveats. I think if you're using your pick up zone idea, you need to have different ones for different factions. It would be too blatant if you had a congregation of mix-raced criminals in one random spot in Flint County. Police would then have to do specific investigations on certain individuals who travel for these weapons instead of staking out a deserted town where they saw six mix-race criminals huddled.

You can order/purchase the items inside the business (must be high rank, regardless of business ownership) and it will send you a location on your radar to collect. Absolutely no refunds, once purchased inside the business, it's on you to deliver. The "pick-up zone" should be completely random and changed by script often so players can't learn the patterns and camp the zones to fight other factions etc

Edited by Whiskey

dean

i dont think guns should be bought from the deep web, yea it happens irl but it's just reaching in my opinion

• Like 1

tw1ster
51 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I suggested this assuming truckers will be the source of stock for all legal businesses. Truckers won't necessarily be involved (intentionally); just like a cargo ship carrying a container of cocaine to the states isn't intentionally involved in drug trafficking. It's just another ingredient you will require to keep your business afloat and the gun making process continuous.

I understand the part about having them unknowingly transport them and support that. Great idea. A concern of mine I guess would be as followed: I make a street gang in the middle of the ghetto and have one business, a barber shop. I set my barber shop to illegal and begin manufacturing weapons out of that shop. If that was the only business in the area, would that not put a target on my and my gang's back? As a criminal, I understand I need to be witty and outsmart law enforcement; would there be an alternative to manufacture weapons outside of my barber shop?

I guess the toss up for me is: If I choose to invest in a business for my faction, do I have to decide if I want to keep it local and use it legally for RP? (simply so I don't have to worry about being busted and losing it) Or do I need to think about weapons trafficking and place my business a distance away so it's not blatant I'm making guns in my backyard? - If so, that's okay. It makes sense to me. I'm borderline venturing into hypotheticals but I hope I got my point across.

51 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

> Business (LEGAL)

> Obtain setup: You will have to pay one-time fee of X amount, then go collect machines(?) to turn metal(?) into guns. (ILLEGAL)

> Obtain stock: Truckers will deliver, stock keeps the legal side of your business running, whatever items your business markets. (LEGAL)

> Obtain other items: Possibly metal bars or something, this item must be regulated like legal stock.  (ILLEGAL)

LEOs following truckers will be absolutely pointless as they could be going to any business and all they are literally doing is restocking legal goods, it might not feel "required" in the gunmaking process but it would just be another obstacle for gunmaking. 

Collecting the (ILLEGAL) items will be a risk for gunmakers, if pulled over or checked at boarders etc. They'll have to be professional about it. Which is why I suggested it to be flexible; meaning you can use literally any vehicle (except for collecting setup, it should be a van/heavy vehicle) to deliver it all back to your business. You can use a car to move the items to the coast then move the items into SF via said boat then switch to a car again etc. Or helicopter if you're a highroller.

PD will probably host border checks for traffickers, those who cannot afford to do it professionally will probably have a hard time doing it. 

Pickup zones could probably be anywhere isolated. Flint, Tierra, Bone ETC

But as I said and I cannot stress this enough; the zones need to be completely random /coords set by the devs and then changed regularly to prevent any locations becoming known. Every month or so, an admin can find new /coords and upload to GM.

Thanks for the response, this clears a lot up for me and I'm very open to the idea. Obviously kinks would need to be worked out but this seems like a solid starting point. I assume the trucking job would be a player's job so I ask this question with that in mind. Let's say for some odd reason we have a shortage of truckers, materials aren't being delivered to businesses. I don't know how the job script works yet, but would I be able to say, send someone to go get the job and deliver my materials for me? Or would their routes be randomized until they finally delivered to my business?

Whiskey

We, well I haven't discussed the trucking system with Rehasher yet, this is just based off assumptions. We could even exclude/scrap the entire trucking essential from gunmaking.

The location you make your guns would just be character discussions to be honest.

I thought, where and how to post this suggestion and businesses seemed like the smartest idea. It's a legal font, so it won't be on top and I believe it won't bring as much metagame. If you have any suggestions, I will definitely take them into consideration.

• Like 1

Koehler

What if besides the base weapon crafting method (whatever it will turn out to be), there's also going to be a "Deep Web" system for obtaining guns. This system should however be labeled as a secondary system. What I mean by this is that the amount of weapons one can get from the Deep Web should be many times smaller than the usual method of obtaining guns. Perhaps getting weapons this way could be faster than the bulk method. If such system is implemented, there should also be something that can eventually give PD some leads on the online black markets. Perhaps have a system where .onion websites appear and disappear (get closed by government), and with more transactions on a website, it generates more and more heat that eventually triggers the PD gives them hints on who purchased the most recent weapons.

It's just a quick idea from the top of my head and I'd like to know what you guys think. Hope I've been coherent enough, if not let me know.

Guest kane

Going to archive this. Old suggestion and we've got a system planned for gun distribution.